PDA

View Full Version : Question about swirl remover

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

! apmljv
06-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Today I bought the Meguire 3 Steps to do detailing for my car. After spent about all day doing the car detailing using the Meguire 3 Steps (that was suppose to include swirl remover), I`ve noticed it didn`t completely remove the swirls/scratches. I wonder what I should use to completely get rid of the swirls/scratches? Should I purchase the Meguire Swirl Remover? or 3M? supposely the 3M is dedicated for dark color car. If so, I assume I apply the swirl remover after the 1st step from Meguire?

thanks for the help!

ultrajim49
06-11-2003, 12:54 AM
:showpics

:LOLOL

Realy , pics would help

Welcome to Autopia:wavey

I don`t have experience with Meg.`s but I`m sure 3M machine polish and a PC would do the job.3M is for both light colors and dark.

To realy get rid of ALL the swirls, well , don`t expect that to happen in 1 step.

May I suggest you read around here on Autopia , the search function works well:xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
06-11-2003, 12:58 AM
:welcome

The 1st step is really only a paint cleaner, you really need a swirl remover to remove any swirls with it. 3M, Meguiar`s #9, either of those will do.

3M SMR has one for dark colour cars and one for light colour cars. The dark one just has dark fillers. They both work the same.

shaf
06-11-2003, 01:15 AM
Welcome to Autopia! :welcome

I second what 2wheelsx2 said. Once you have a real swirl remover the Step 1 product is kind of redundant. You probably will want to do searches on hand swirl removal to give you some pointers. Be aware that you`re in for a major job and that anything called "scratches" will require a stiffer product and more attention though. Good luck!

! apmljv
06-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful reply and the tips on the search. I will do a search and see what I find. In addition, sorry for not posting the pic, but I`ll give the Meguiar #9 a try, if it doesn`t work, then I`ll come back with a pic~

Thank you all

! apmljv
06-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Ok, after spent about 2 hours on the damn hood with Meguiar #9 Swirl Remover and this is the result... Also, I think there is more swirl if my skill in taking pic was better.. but here..

http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/Jliao/dsc00767.jpg

http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/Jliao/dsc00768.jpg

What am I doing wrong that I didn`t get rid of them? I`m doing this by hand using the terry cloth foam pad and apply the swirl remover. I`d be greatly appreciate if anyone can direct me to the right way of removing those swirls. :/

Thanks!

//MMMGood
06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Well I would say that it takes about two hours with a PC to get it perfect...so I would say you would have a lot longer time than that by hand.

Peter Hsu

endus
06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Do a couple rounds of the swirl mark remover or try the DACP. Just ebcause it`s a system it`s not guaranteed to work in jsut three steps. Sometimes you have to do a few rounds of polish...

imported_nowaterno
06-20-2003, 02:48 PM
take it up a notch. Try 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, then a fine polish . LOTS less work. Also get a PC if you can, much more effective.

! apmljv
06-20-2003, 04:27 PM
I was considering getting the PC. Though, they`re kinda pricy :P

gnahc79
06-20-2003, 05:50 PM
PC is the only practical way you`ll diminish those swirls. It`s not worth the time and frustration to do it by hand...like I did :).

I tried #9 by hand and got no results. After two passes with a PC at 5K rpm, only a few swirls under a glaring worklight show up :).

btw, from those pics I don`t think you`ll completely remove the swirls unless you go rotary.

jmsc
06-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Jliao,

After seeing those pics, I agree with what is being said here.

You ain`t going to cut it by hand. And in the end you may need a rotary.

Your swirls are 2X as bad as mine. And I just finished using a PC with #9 (2X) then Menzerna IP and FP (2X). I am now left with 10-15% swirls. Next up for me is DACP. Its those few nasty ones that I want removed. I may not achieve 100% but I`ll take 95-99%. Even now the car looks perfect to my friends but only pretty good to me.

The PC is going to cost you short-term but long-term it will save you time and your back.

! apmljv
06-20-2003, 06:53 PM
If I were to get a PC, what kind of foam pad do I need to do the swirl remover?

Thanks

imported_nowaterno
06-20-2003, 07:05 PM
CMA Yellow pad or maybe even a wool pad to fall back on if the yellow isn`t enough. I also got a white pad to apply my finish polish and things turned out pretty nicely. You should be able to pick up the PC around $100-110

shaf
06-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Jliao, while a PC is a good investment for future detailing jobs IMHO, if I were in your shoes I would consider first trying a stronger product and see if that cuts down the swirls faster, then follow it up with #9 again. Try DACP or 3M Fine Cut.

Also if you do go the PC route, always try the gentler solution first by default. It`s very hard to judge how deep and how serious swirls are from an internet photo, so it`s a judgement call you`ll have to make in person. By PC, #9/polishing pad may surprise you. From what I can see they really don`t look that bad so I wouldn`t be pushing the "PC only" or "rotary" panic buttons yet.