PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean interior crevices

NegatiZE
06-10-2003, 09:34 PM
I bought a small brush for detailing the little crevices in my car`s interior. Works alright but after a while all it does is just move the dust around. I like to get up in the tiny spaces between radio buttons, HVAC controls, air vents, etc. My center pod is black colored so every little speck of dust is visible in sunlight.

What does everyone else do to keep their interior dust free?

imported_f150smith
06-10-2003, 10:29 PM
The best way IMO is to use the brush to loosen up the dust then follow up with your vacumn cleaner. Mine has one those brush type nozzles and it does a good job of eliminating the dust. For any left over try using a little of your interior proctectant on a small bristle paint brush.

imported_usmcski
06-11-2003, 05:45 AM
I use a brush and a low powered air compressor

Old Rattle Flat
06-11-2003, 07:40 AM
I use the soft brush attachment on a portable vacum, followed by can canned air. If I`ve got time, I`ll spray some 303 or Plexus on a MF continue to clean.

MBZ 500E
06-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Hmm I`m the odd ball in this group.:o

I use Q-Tips actually. If your knobs and buttons are made of plastic you can do the following. Get some plastic polish (the spray type from Plexus or Meguiars) and spray some on the Q-Tip. Wipe on and around the buttons to remove the greasy buildup and follow up with a soft cloth to wipe over the entire surface and remove any excess polish. Do this every 3 months and you won`t get that nasty oily buildup which fingers will inevitabley leave behind.

I finish the entire interior with a duster to pickup any loose dust and remove it from the car.

I`ve safely done this for years. The only change I`ve made is I use Piano Polish rather than Plastic Polish, I just like the look it provides.:o

Accumulator
06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Like MBZ 500E, I often use swabs with some product on them. Also, plush MF`s can be real dust magnets, especially when they have a bit of static charge to them.

NegatiZE
06-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I`m gonna try em all out. What do you all think about a can of compressed air, like they sell for computers? Sounds like it would work real well for the really hard to get to places.

Oh yeah, here`s my `dirty` interior:

http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/IMG_0714%20copy.jpg

:)

MBZ 500E
06-12-2003, 02:41 PM
I used compressed air cans A LOT. :D They have a 6 Pack at Costco for $10, I blow through that in about 1 Month .:eek: Yeah I know.....my next investment is an air compressor.

I use it mainly in the engine bay and for dust removal on exterior crevices. Keep in mind that the cans just blow the dust around and are great to push the dust to an area which can be wiped up. Also don`t forget that when the can is full you need to maintain it in an upright position, otherwise it will blow the fluid over your surface.

Good luck, doesn`t look like your interior is that dirty although Camera`s can lie.:rolleyes:

YoSteve
06-18-2003, 01:50 AM
I like using foam laquer type brushing and a vacuum. (I use microfiber between vacuuming). Literally vacuum up every stray fiber (and yes it takes a long time)

JimS
06-18-2003, 08:43 AM
I use a brush and either vac or blow loose stuff away with my Vac N Blow...the best little vac in captivity, imo.