PDA

View Full Version : Yellow film on rear panels...

jjcrews01
06-10-2003, 07:25 AM
I`ve been driving my Highlander for about 3 weeks and I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I`ve washed, clayed and sealed with Zaino, but every time I drive in rain or wet weather I come home and have a yellowish film of *something* on the rear lower panels. It doesn`t come off with washing alone, I have to rub pretty hard, The first time it happened only clay would completely remove it. (So it seems to be a thinner layer each time. ??)

The other thing about this is... the Highlanders have (it looks like) a clear protectant (like the clear hood protection) covering this area. I`m afraid (after reading one of David B.`s articles) that it might stain with this yellowish tint.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

imported_DetailGirl
06-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Do you have a picture?

Scottwax
06-10-2003, 05:23 PM
It could be something that is on your local roads that is splashing up on the lower panels. Have they sealed the roads or oiled them lately?

jjcrews01
06-11-2003, 06:46 AM
DetailGirl ... I didn`t take a picture, should have though.

Scottwax ... It couldn`t be the roads because none of the roads would have been the same roads.

After I posted this I started thinking about what would cause it. It definitely became easier and easier to clean off each time. The only thing I can think of is that it must be the tire dressing the dealership used. And as it started wearing off/drying off the tires it threw less on the car. ?? I don`t know what they use, but maybe the protective film is what is causing it to adhere and adding to the difficulity in removing it.

Could this be a possibility?

Julie

Poorboy
06-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Julie,

Have seen this before...a solvent either on the tire or used on the paint will cause that effect on white...especially very strong bug and tar removers...if it`s not splattered looking, then it was a solvent used to remove something that was on the vehicle...

it really should be completely polished back to the clearcoat.

Poorboy

jjcrews01
06-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks Poorboy! After I polish it, can I use something like 303 Protectant on the (protective film that is) panels. ?

Julie

Poorboy
06-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately ..you may have to remove the film and have it reapplied if you want to have the film for protection again...once it yellows like that it needs to be replaced, and the surface underneath cleaned completely....you might also talk to the body shop thye have or use...they can get the film and apply it...