PDA

View Full Version : PPG and S100: which do you like on silver?

Acura_RL
06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
I did some research but I still can`t find a solid answer. For a clearcoated light colored silver paint, which carnuba wax would you recommend: PPG or S100? Here`s a pic of my car`s paint (not a good pic, but you`ll get an idea of the color):

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p437038e442128685eefed70397918ee3/fc45d9d5.jpg

I`ve read from CMA that PPG contains Ivory Carnuba, while p21s is yellow carnuba. However, many state that p21s rivals Souveran--which also contains ivory carnuba.

Still trying to figure out the difference between Souveran and PPG. But being that S100 gets lots of raves, I`d figure that I should compare it to PPG. That`s why i`m posting this poll.

If there`s a wax that`s looks better than these two on silver, please specify.

Thanks for the help. :xyxthumbs

JasonC8301
06-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Well the difference is very subjective. I have tried Pinnacle Paste Glaz, Pinnacle Souveran paste, P21S (same thing as S100 as everyone on the board seems to say), Blitz, Meguiar`s #26, and some other paste waxes (not Zymol though, that stuff is seriously overpriced...)

Ok, AOL pictures suck! Very difficult for me to play witht he html and get the picture link and my 28.8 conneciton ain`t helping.

Of the two, P21S seems to offer a nice depth and gloss to the finish, yet Pinnacle Paste Glaz offers less depth but more gloss/shine. I am pretty much nit picking about the differences. They are there but VERY minimal and VERY hard to point out.

The S100 should last a longer than P21S, but the Paste Glaz is easier to remove.

hmmm, I still haven`t made a decision yet. I guess I like them both....If I was to go with one, is S100 available locally and cheaper? I would try that first. Pinnacle Paste Glaz is a little expensive. hmmmm, why not try both?

Acura_RL
06-09-2003, 09:00 PM
I might try s100 since it`s probably the easiest for me to get.

I still want to see people`s opinions however. If any of you are reading, can you at LEAST vote? :nixweiss

Mmmph
06-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Buy them both. PPG is on sale for $24.95 at ********.net and they have S100 for $14.95. Under $40, plus shipping for both. A great deal and your curiosity is satisfied.

Acura_RL
06-10-2003, 07:59 AM
I`d like to but I`m limiting myself to one. I don`t want to buy something and not use it right away.

Mmmph
06-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Acura_RL

I don`t want to buy something and not use it right away.

But, you will use them right away. A side-by-side comparo.:xyxthumbs

PPG on the left side and S100 on the right...or S100 on

the left side and PPG on the right. Makes no diff, eh?

imported_Intermezzo
06-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Acura_RL

Still trying to figure out the difference between Souveran and PPG. But being that S100 gets lots of raves, I`d figure that I should compare it to PPG. That`s why i`m posting this poll.

I recall in an old interview David did with Terry that one of the differences between PPG and Sov is the polymer content. PPG has a higher polymer content...thus providing a brighter shine which would be more appropriate for light colored cars (this isn`t my opinion...just recalling what was said).

I voted for Paste Glaze, but like Jason said, it would be difficult to notice any difference in shine between the two. Also, I wouldn`t place too much weight on the differences between the "bleached" ivory carnauba vs unbleached carnauba marketing angle. Both look fantastic and neither cause any yellowing at all.

Aside from looks, PPG is easier to use, has a strong tropical scent & comes in a much better container. P21S is more durable and repels dust better.

jonw440
06-10-2003, 05:00 PM
I vote for S100. Here is my truck with just two coats of S100

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2418&papass=&sort=1

Jngrbrdman
06-10-2003, 05:06 PM
I would stop looking for a consensus of what people think is the best. Waxing your car is creating something that is appreciated on the same level that art is appreciated. Some people may think it looks great and some people may not. There really isn`t an answer to the "which is best" question. People may have their favorites but that is just what is best for them.

I`ve used them both and I really like PPG over P21S/S100 on my wife`s champange car (kinda silver but in more of a gold color. Not gold enough to be called that though). PPG seems to glow a bit more than S100/P21S and I like that. Its durabilty is good to. I put a coat on 2 weeks ago and its just now starting to show that it needs to be reapplied. The car is outside 24/7 and 2 months is good durability for any wax in those condtions.

PPG and S100 are inexpensive enough (relatively) that you could just try em both. If you don`t like one or the other then I am sure you could sell which ever one you didn`t like to an Autopian. There are plenty of people who would love to pick up another jar of S100 or PPG.

imported_Intermezzo
06-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Waxing your car is creating something that is appreciated on the same level that art is appreciated. Some people may think it looks great and some people may not. There really isn`t an answer to the "which is best" question. People may have their favorites but that is just what is best for them.

:bow :up :bow :up

offcenter
06-10-2003, 06:19 PM
PPG will give your silver paint a shine that POPS and stands out. S100/P21S will give your Silver paint a nice, deep, dark glow. That has been my experience after using both.

Acura_RL
06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Well so far I`ve seen the results and by and large people have been choosing S100.

I`m not looking for the "best wax" per se. I know it`s a vague question and people hate to answer it. I just want some input from what some fellow autopians` experience has been with both products for a particular paint color. I hope I`m not asking for too much.