PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber question: If polyester can cause swirls...

Ben Carufel
06-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Then why are microfibers part polyester? Mine are 80% polyester and 20% polyamide. Why do they not cause swirls in the paint like a polyester wash mitt would?

:nixweiss

hellr
06-08-2003, 09:31 PM
They use polyester fibers that have been split up so they are much smaller and can no longer scratch the paint.

medic159
06-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Some microfiber CAN scratch so be careful. It has nothing to do whether they are poly or not, in fact microfber sized yarn can be almost anything from wood to flax to linen to cotton to polyester to whatever, it has to do with the process and the weave or knit.

I`ve seen microfiber yarns that where as tough as steel wool and others as soft as the proverbial baby`s "you know what."

Ben Carufel
06-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks DF. I figured it has to do with how fine the fibers were, but it was one of those things I never questioned, just went along with. I guess I got a little curious this weekend. Didn`t help that I just got a new shipment of JT International microfibers, either.

I`ve heard great stuff about JT International MF`s, and the PakShak MF`s someone gave me several months ago are toast (now they`ll be my wheel/doorjamb rags) so I thought I`d give the JT MF`s a try.

Mr. Clean
06-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DFTowel

Some microfiber CAN scratch so be careful. It has nothing to do whether they are poly or not, in fact microfber sized yarn can be almost anything from wood to flax to linen to cotton to polyester to whatever, it has to do with the process and the weave or knit.

I`ve seen microfiber yarns that where as tough as steel wool and others as soft as the proverbial baby`s "you know what."

DFTowel

Oh how right you are:xyxthumbs Care must be exercised when using any toweling product. I have found this to be especially true when surfaces become dry. Wipe with care and maintain clean towels watching constantly for debris which might find its way into the fibers.

Leo, where do you find those towels that are soft as "you know what"?;)