PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with new car and horrible paint needs help please

outdoorsr
06-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and new to detailing.

I just bought an BLACK Infiniti G35 sedan. The paint is terrible to begin with- only 2000 miles and chips everywhere, overspray, clearcoat peeling etc.

I just purchase Zaino and dawned the car and parked it in the garage to detail it for the first time.

In the sun the paint looks like deep blank, but in the garage with 1000 watts of holagens on it, it looks like someone took sandpaper to it. There are swirls, straight marks, and water spots etc. I tried using 3M RC but that left a haze, then tried the 3MSWR and that clouded the paint also. All this has been done by hand.

I applied the Zaino several times to see what would happen. In the daylight the paint is a deep dark black, but back under the lights in the garage all the marks and waterspots are still there.

I really could use some help. This brand new and it looks HORRIBLE! Thank you in advance.

Nikon
06-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Welcome.:wavey

I think you will find that there is a wealth of information on this site to help you with your problem.

The 3m SMR should work quite well when used with a Porter Cable random orbital polisher (this goes by PC in most posts).

Quite a number of threads cover using the PC and removing swirl marks and scratches.

4DSC compiled a terrific thread titled "The Definitive Porter Cable Accessorizing Thread." Just use the search tool and put that title in the text field and then 4DSC in the user name field. Within this thread there is a link to Geekysteve’s very excellent article on the proper use of a PC and a link to Alboston`s "Buffing out swirl marks and scratches with your Porter cable 7336".

On scratched and swirled surfaces, this is what I do:

1) Wash and dry the car.

2) Cay the area to be polished. I have been using Mequiar`s overspray clay with Mequiar`s Final Inspection as a lubricant. Many Autopian`s find that other brands of clay work better and I myself have ordered Autopia`s clay to try out. Mequiar`s clay is quite sticky and has the tendency to grab.

3) With a PC, a red Mequiar`s pad (cutting pad) I apply Mequiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. I have started using Mequiar`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP) in place of #2 and really like the results. I have also used Mequiar’s Premium Paint Cleaner and it is very good.

4) With a Mequiar’s yellow pad (cleaning pad) I apply Mequiar`s #9 Swirl Mark Remover.

5) I follow this up with a finishing pad on the PC and Mequiar`s #7 polish

6) I hand apply Mequiar`s #26 Hightech Yellow Wax

For your purposes, stop at step 4 since you are applying Zaino.

I can`t offer any opinions on other swirl and scratch removal products like 3M since I have only used Mequiar’s. By using the search tool, you will find lots of helpful information on using other products of which 3M seems to be very popular.

Hope this helps.

outdoorsr
06-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. I guess its back to the dawn again.:nixweiss

paco
06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Hey Outdoorsr,

Don`t bother with the dawn wash at this point. Dawn has limited application and is really only recommended when you have very very good paint and want to ensure a very clean surface in which to apply Zaino to. If you intend on any paint correction techniques, using Dawn isn`t recommended as overuse can potentially damage the clear.

That said, as your last step before applying Zaino, then go ahead if you choose.

Dawn will not strip Zaino (or very much anyway) and any abrasive product you use will most likely strip the Zaino in a flash.

Paco

shaf
06-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Welcome to Autopia Outdoorsr. :welcome

If you`re doing this by hand you probably want to run some searches on "hand swirl removal" and things that sound similar. 3M RC (pretty sure) and SMR shouldn`t leave the paint dull if used correctly. It could be that your applicators are too rough or you`re not working it in long enough. This is all hard, sweaty work by hand, but it is doable and between the two products you have you should be equipped product-wise.

If you have clearcoat peeling I am truly sorry. :( I don`t think there`s much you can do about that except repainting it. What the heck happened to this poor car that made it this way??? :(

outdoorsr
06-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome:bounce

I have used microfiber towels with the RC, SWR and Zaino for application and removal. In the sun the car looks pretty good, in the halogen :sosad

One of the major complaints for G35 owners is the shotty paint. I have stone chips to the primer already, and that was under 2000 miles on the car when that happened.

I will go back over the car then with the RC and SWR after I do some reading on here. I am sure I was doing it wrong. I was doing it Mr. Miagi`s way : "wax on, wax off (circular motions). Old habits are hard to break. Ah well, back to the waxing board.

:D