PDA

View Full Version : Scared Newbie!!!

bpacif
06-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Hello All..

I have been reading with much interest all of the post in this forum. I must say you all have been very inspiring to say the least. I am from the "old school" and never realized how much the technology in detailing has evolved from the Turtle Wax days.

Anyway, here is my question. My wife just picked up a Black 2003 Saturn Vue. When is it too soon to detail it? Or is it ever too soon? Should I put a coat of wax on it now? Polish? Quick Detail? I am afraid to touch it! It has rained every day here in Pa since she picked it up last week, I havn`t even had a chance to wash it. I think all I need is someone to jump in and give me some advice so that i can get my confidence back...

Any ideas would be greatly apreciated...

imported_BretFraz
06-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Welcome to Autopia :wavey Hanging around here can make you nuts for a shiny car and can drain your wallet if you`re not careful ;)

Your VUE is ready for waxing now. Factory paint is fully cured when it leaves the line so by the time it gets transported, dealer prepped, and sits on the lot for awhile, it can use some wax. The only time its too soon to wax new paint is if you had repairs done and the body shop instructed you to wait a certain amount of time before waxing.

What to use is 100% dependent on how much time and effort you want to expend, how much $$ you want to spend, and how demanding you`ll be about the car`s appearance. Even if you just go with the basic products, learning and using proper techniques and procedures will make car care much easier.

I highly recommend purchasing the Autopia Guide to Detailing. You can check it out at www.autopia-carcare.com . Click on "Boutique". A good portion of it is free. Consider it a college course on proper car care. Its a great reference and will help you decide what to use and how to use it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

imported_Smoker
06-07-2003, 10:38 PM
:welcome

As Bretfraz said ..... read, choose, buy and try!

There really is SOOOOOO many products to choose from that are good without costing uber $$$$$.

My favourite wax is probably S100 - available from any Harley dealer for just 14 bucks!

I`ve tried a few Qds for keeping that `just waxed` finish and actually like the Megs Quick Detailer you can get from Autozone.

I doubt a brand new car would need much more for a little while at least.

I`m sure as you read more threads you`ll get more adventurous tho.

:xyxthumbs

shaf
06-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Welcome to Autopia bpacif! :wavey

The best thing you could do is start reading up on some of the basic techniques and the kinds of materials/products used. Particularly pay attention to proper washing if you want to keep the car looking good. In addition to the beneficial eBook, check out the Member Articles forum and the Learn! link at the top.

I think Bret nailed it with regards to what you should use. There are lots and lots of different ways to protect your paint and it all comes down to personal preference and needs. Good luck and happy reading!

tguil
06-08-2003, 06:27 AM
I was in the same position with my new black Dodge truck. I waited too long and ended up with some hard to get out water spots on the hood. My suggestion-- get a coat of Megiuar`s Cleaner Wax or Meguiar`s #6 on the Saturn NOW using your old Turtle Wax techniques. Then read the stuff suggested on this website. Regular waxing with the Meguiar`s will do a great job for you. It will keep the Saturn "looking good". However, if you want to make the Saturn "perfect", just spend a few hours at this website and follow the advice of these "obsessive detailers".

By the way, Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection is a great and easy to use sealant. On a brand new vehicle you could probably get by using it without using a cleaner/polish first.

Tom :cool:

bpacif
06-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I do feel much better now. What I gather is wax only only the new VUE, if it ever stops raining. Any reccomendations for the color Black, or is that just a falicy? Cost of products is really not a concern. If you have any suggestions, where to purchase them would be very helpfull, i.e. S100 at HD dealer.

Reading is not a problem for me, I tell my students all the time "read and you will learn". One thing I have learned thus far, I have been washing my cars incorrectly for the past 30 years! I will experiment with some of the other techniques on my 96 Cavalier.

Looks like I found a new hobby for the summer. Thanks again for the info and the encouragment. Always a pleasure to talk to experts.

tguil
06-08-2003, 07:56 AM
bpacif,

Sounds like you are a teacher. I`ve been in the public school business for 39 years -- a principal for 35.

All of my vehicles since 1977 have been black. I know black! I also know swirls, scratches etc. etc.

Classic Motoring Accesories (CMA) http://www.properautocare.com/ has everything that you need to get into detailing. I suggest that one of your first purchases be a Porter Cable dual action polisher. It is called a PC on this website. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The results you can get are amazing. The folks at CMA have an 800 number and they are most helpful and it beats the hell out of typing.

If money is not a factor, go first class. I have spent almost $400 at CMA in the last month. The folks at CMA will probably suggest Blackfire for your Saturn. I have the Blackfire kit, but have not had time to try it yet.

I still suggest that you get a quick coat of cleaner wax on your Saturn today. We are having a gorgeous morning in Nebraska. I just washed my black Dodge. It has a coat of Mequiar`s Premium Paint Protection (MPPP) on it and it`s "lookin` good".

I use S100 on my Harleys. It`s great stuff but it doesn`t have a cleaner in it.

Tom :cool:

bpacif
06-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Yes, long time high school teacher in an urban school district in Reading, Pa. Tough crowd but I love the challenge.

Unfortunately gorgeous and morning haven`t gone together here in Pa for the past 2 months. When it stops raining I will apply the sealant wax. Can I than apply one of the premium waxes over that, or just let it alone for awhile?

Thanks for the site link. I ordered a ton of their interior products. Wife is going to have aftermarket heated/leather installed next week. PC sounds reasonable, I think I will go ahead and order one of the kits. I like the car care packages they have available. Again, tough to decide, but I thiink I will just jump in with one and see how it works on the 96 Cavalier.

Thanks Again Tom...

Bob