PDA

View Full Version : VM, SSR1, or both?

Threadhead
08-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I just realized that I forgot to order some SSR1 in my last batch. So, since I don`t have any, I thought I may want to try VM instead.

I will be removing some medium swirls on my car with SSR2.5. I really want to get the surface smooth so I was planning on following with SSR1, then EX-P and topping with Natty`s.

Will I really need SSR1 after SSR2.5?
I have some PwC, will that substitute for SSR1?
Will VM do pretty much the same as SSR1?

TIA

Threadhead
08-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Or, if forgot to add to the list, AIO.

So... SSR1 or VM or AIO?

Woob
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
VM is definitely a glaze and it can take some small swirls. SSR1 is a really good follow up polish, so depending on how you run 2.5 you might wanna get some. AIO is a must have. This stuff cleans protects and just leaves a good surface to work with. I say all 3! 2.5 to 1 to VM to EX-p to Natty`s is awesome. You can order AIO at another time, its downside is it is expensive :(

awd330
08-18-2004, 10:57 PM
SSR1 has more abrasives than the more chemical cleaner based VM, PwC, or AIO. In that respect, SSR1 will be able to clean up any marring better than the other 3. However, SSR2.5 is not as prone to hazing as many other products with similar swirl removing capabilities. Your technique and applicator pad choices will influence your requirements for a follow-up polish.

FWIW - I have tried following up SSR2.5 with SSR1, VM, and PwC. All provided excellent results in their respective situations. SSR1 and VM have similar appearance characteristics, so I would not hesitate to give the SSR2.5/VM combo a try. PwC will give you a slightly brighter and more reflective look than either SSR1 or VM. While I haven`t tried AIO as a follow-up to SSR2.5, I have previously used it as a base for EX-P. I found that combo to provide a more muted appearance which was not to my liking. As always, your mileage may vary.

Threadhead
08-18-2004, 11:24 PM
I`m trying to get all the info straight...

VM is a glaze, kinda like Meg`s #7?
AIO is a non-abrasive cleaner, no real polish?
PwC is a slightly abrasive/chemical cleaner (kinda like VM+AIO, with a little polish and a little carnauba)?
BUT, you can not EX-P on top of PwC?

Since I like ordering from PAC (of course), is Dwayne ever going to carry VM?

Sorry for all the ??? But you guys have really taught me a lot! Thanks
:dcrules

Woob
08-18-2004, 11:37 PM
VM is a glaze, kinda like Meg`s #7? - Yup. Very versatile and its great for windows / chrome. etc.
AIO is a non-abrasive cleaner, no real polish? - No abrasives. I doubt it takes away swirls. Good cleaner / Prepper
PwC is a slightly abrasive/chemical cleaner (kinda like VM+AIO, with a little polish and a little carnauba)? - Somewhat of a cleaner. Its a 1 step product. You got the idea :)
BUT, you can not EX-P on top of PwC? - PB stuff is versatile, you can top PwC with EX-P, as with VM

Since I like ordering from PAC (of course), is Dwayne ever going to carry VM? - Perhaps, Dwayne has plans for everything. I`m sure with the right input it will be considered.

awd330
08-18-2004, 11:43 PM
VM is hard to categorize. It is a combination chemical cleaner, polish, glaze, and protectant. In that regard, it is more like AIO or PwC than #7. EX-P can be used on top of any of these 3 products. I had the PwC/EX-P combo in one of my vehicles for 4 months before the slickness and gloss began to show some age.

Sorry, I thought you already had VM and just wanted to know if you could use it instead of waiting for an SSR1 order. I like all of the products you mentioned except #7. I use them in different situations depending upon the look I`m trying to achieve and the color/condition of the paint.

Threadhead
08-19-2004, 12:33 AM
I only have PwC and a little bit of #7. I do not have SSR1, VM or AIO.

Maybe I should put it this way... I`ll be doing a white, single stage paint, that is fairly oxidized. My plan of attack was:
1) PwC, PC w/polish pad (recommended by steve @ poorboys) to tackle most of the oxidation. A cutting pad may be needed.
2) SSR2.5, PC w/polish pad (maybe cutting pad). I`m expecting some pretty good swirls after the oxy is gone.
3) SSR1, PC w/polish pad (or VM, or AIO). I don`t have anything for this step.
4) EX-P, with finish pad.
5) Natty`s by hand.

Poorboy
08-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Actually #2 should be #1 , #3 should Be #2, #1 should be #3(if needed), #4 is #4, and #5 after it cools down out there:D

norahcrv
08-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Thread,
Where in AZ are you located?
Norah

Threadhead
08-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by norahcrv
Thread,
Where in AZ are you located?
North Scottsdale.

Threadhead
08-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Poorboy
Actually #2 should be #1 , #3 should Be #2, #1 should be #3(if needed), #4 is #4, and #5 after it cools down out there:D
Thank you for getting me on the right track, Steve.

Looks like it gonna cool down a bit today, only 103 :-p

norahcrv
08-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Thread,
You have a PM!
Norah