PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar secret ?

goixiz
06-07-2003, 12:10 PM
What is the secret to using vinegar as paint cleaner ? If there is one.

My neighbour saw me cleaning my car and clay bar for a while. And he came over to me and ask what i was doing.

He says he use vinegar with a large towel and soak one end of the towel and rub the vinegar on and use the other end of the towel and remove it and use 2-3 towels (change when dirty) for a 4 runner and it looks quite good im not sure how it feels or beads

but it was nice and shinny from 30 yards away.

He says he learned it from a body detailing friend

Anyone please ?

Labshark
06-07-2003, 12:20 PM
vinegar is used for removing water spots, not for general cleaning.

tguil
06-07-2003, 12:37 PM
I use vinegar at almost full strength to remove water spots (actually water scum) from my white boat (an 18 foot SeaRay) before I detail it. It makes the job a lot easier.

Tom :cool:

Pats300zx
06-07-2003, 02:12 PM
I use vinegar at almost full strength to remove water spots (actually water scum) from my white boat (an 18 foot SeaRay) before I detail it. It makes the job a lot easier.

Cool tip...going to have to try that one.. I have an 18ft Chaparral bowrider.

CRXSi90
06-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Because people don`t like their cars smelling like pickels? I dunno...I`ve used it as a cleaner before and though it was OK. The acid in it is what does the cleaning, which is also implemented in the A(cid)B(ase)C(ontaminance?) washing system. When you do this, you`ll want to be sure to re-wax after, but honestly, I`ve seen cars bead water when cleaned with vinegar alone. This method of cleaning is also likely to remove any wax you have on your car also.

I`ve been scared to use this because I didn`t want to use something too acidic on my paint. If I recall correctly, it can lead to some bad paint conditions. I haven`t been sure how much to dillute it...I was thinking 50:50 with water, but haven`t gotten around to mixing up a batch.

CRXSi90
06-07-2003, 04:18 PM
http://www.autoint.com/removal_of_contamination.htm

http://www.autoint.com/NEUTSYSTPAGE.htm

some pages about the system...

Spilchy
06-07-2003, 04:22 PM
DavidB recommends it in the eBook

CRXSi90
06-07-2003, 04:42 PM
ABC or vinegar?

Spilchy
06-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Vinegar :) (Distilled White Vinegar)

CRXSi90
06-07-2003, 05:00 PM
ahh, ok. :) What did he use it in reference to, removing water spots or general paint cleaning?

Spilchy
06-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Water Spots :)

He said, wash the car, put on rubber gloves and apply vinegar with a wet sponge, let sit for a minute and hose off and then re-wash the area.

I am saying this by wht I remember reading.

Slackmeister
06-07-2003, 05:38 PM
I suppose if it`s strong enough to remove water spots, it could be used as a paint cleaner--but why? Some paints cleaners aren`t that much more expensive than vinegar and more pleasant to work with.

Spilchy
06-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Slackmeister

I suppose if it`s strong enough to remove water spots, it could be used as a paint cleaner--but why? Some paints cleaners aren`t that much more expensive than vinegar and more pleasant to work with.

:confused: I bought a gallon of vinegar for $2.25. Find me a paint claner that cheap! :p