PDA

View Full Version : How to remove adhesive residue from a new car??

snapdemon
06-07-2003, 10:12 AM
My wife bought me a new car for our anniversary and it was somewhat of a surprise. She new what vehicle I wanted and she went in on her own and purchased it while I was at work. Knowing Im kinda fraky about the paint she only let them remove the plastic covering no detail no prep to the paint. Now I am left with a couple of small residual pieces of protective film about the size of a pin head and some adhesive residue.

I am wondering how to remove this without possibly harming the paint.

And on a side note, the build date on the car is only May 01, 2003 I am planning on waiting untill after the 4th of July to do anything to the paint besides mild washings just to be on the safe side. A few times I have had work done at a local body shop they have reccomended to wait 60 days until waxing or claying to make sure the paint has cured. I know this paint on my new car has been baked on but I still don`t wat to risk marring the finish so early. July will be about 60 days and I will have sone extra time around the 4th.

Does this seem to cautious? Should I wait longer?

Better safe than sorry is what I`m thinking.

I have some clay, S100 SEPC, Poorboys EX, and some S100 waiting for it when I am ready to start working on it.

Thanks in advance

SnapDemon

Accumulator
06-07-2003, 11:24 AM
snapdemon - This came up before but I can`t remember what was determined. Since your plastic/adhesive problem sounds sorta minor, you might try 3M`s Adhesive Remover. It`s safe for cured paint, and yours will certainly be cured by the time you do this. Also, I THINK AutoInt has a product made JUST for removing the plastic and its adhesive, so you might check their site. Even your clay might do it, depending on how bad the problem is.

BTW, your wife sounds VERY thoughtful and considerate. :xyxthumbs

Tim Lingor
06-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Yup, this topic has come up before. The best for adhesive removal is the 3M Adhesive, Wax and Tar remover.

In terms of waxing a new car, I had the same concern. After talking with many knowledgable people and got the answer in writing from the dealer, I went ahead and waxed my wife`s new car! It was only 1 month old from the build date.

You can put on a polish like Meg`s Speed Glaze, just do not wax it if you are concerned. You have to remember, body shops are referring to their paints jobs which do require 60-90 days to cure.