PDA

View Full Version : Soap used at coin-op do it yourself car washes

RhinoNC
06-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Hello,

I usually wash my car at one of those self-serve places where you drive into a bay and put quarters in a machine that lets you use a pressure wash wand (and the foamy brush, which I never use).

(What is the autopia shorthand for those places?)

First of all, being new, I wanted to ask what you all think of those places. Second I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of soap they use. Specifically, is washing your car there like using dish soap (i.e. it will strip your wax off), or is it more like using a car wash shampoo like Meguiars sells?

Thanks!

ntoddalbert
06-07-2003, 07:51 AM
I used those places a lot last summer due to water restrictions here. After reading about them here I did a little test, try putting some of teh water in a clear bottle, its recycled, the one I used was so dirty I was amazed. But when you have no choice what else can you do. I find the soap is tough on wax. If you do use the foam brush, even just for wheels, make sure you spray it down first, last guy more than likely used in on his wheels last and its covered in nasty brake dust.

IM sure you will get more/better advice here, I would have never noticed the water until someone pointed it out here

offcenter
06-07-2003, 09:33 AM
RhinoNC,

I only use the "rinse" setting to hose down the car. Do not use thier prewash or soap settings. I bring my own Mothers Trigger wash and a cotton wash mitt that I saturate with water at home. I put the wet wash mitt in a ziplock bag. I spray the wheels and tires with EO Tire cleaner, then I use the rinse setting to hose down the car. I use the trigger wash and my mitt to shampoo the car then I use the "spot free" rinse setting. I am able to drive home, remove the remaining water (there are no water spots) and detail the car.

imported_Kyle
06-07-2003, 01:02 PM
yes I only use "Rinse" mode. I use my zaino soap. this is for my car.

But on my gf`s car, it`s different..since she doesn`t care we use "soap" and "rinse". 4 min car wash, really fast! no need to dry either :D

shaf
06-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by RhinoNC

(What is the autopia shorthand for those places?) I don`t think there IS an Autopia acronym for those places Brad! :lol People tend to view them as a sometimes necessary evil and little more. :D

Deep_Freeze
06-08-2003, 03:16 AM
Well, as I was cleaning my car one night at a car bay, I met the owner of the car wash. We talked while I buffed my car for like an hour. He also worked for the makers of the products for the car wash, and actually seems quite knowledgeable for a non-autopian, lol.

He told me that most car washes don`t strip wax anymore. Just go to a well maintained car wash and you will be fine.

RhinoNC
06-08-2003, 07:19 AM
I`m going to try the clear bottle test at my local place. That`s a great idea.

By the way, 4DSC, BradNC is another guy in North Carolina. I know we all look alike, but ... ;)

shaf
06-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RhinoNC

I`m going to try the clear bottle test at my local place. That`s a great idea.

By the way, 4DSC, BradNC is another guy in North Carolina. I know we all look alike, but ... ;) :doh

:wall :wall :wall

Blame it on heat exhaustion! I was making all sorts of really REALLY weird spelling and grammatical mistakes late last night too. My brain probably just saw the "NC" part and promptly shut down. Sorry!