PDA

View Full Version : Spraying new paint over old paint

imported_R56r
06-06-2003, 10:23 PM
My car was keyed so it was repainted. The shop just scuffed down the old paint and sprayed new paint over it. Is this ok?

JasonC8301
06-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Doesn`t sound very professional to me.

I always thought a good paint job involved removing all wax and surface contamination, leveling the paint down to the scratch level, sand it, prime it (two to three coats), then spraying 3-4 coats of color followed by a few coats of clear.

I may be way off on this one too :D

imported_Smoker
06-06-2003, 10:49 PM
If it was simple scratches to be repaired they would prolly sand out the scratched area, fill it with stopper paste then prime it.

More often than not bodyshops will respray and entire panel the scratch was on to ensure a good colour match, as blending in on old paint is VERY hard to get perfect, so they use the natural body lines such as door shuts and trim lines to `break up` the way you see the colour.

The rest of the panel they would just scuff up the old paint, de-wax it with prepsol to make sure its super-clean, finally tack cloth it in the booth before they spray.

Then its compounded out when theyre done to make it all nice n shiny.

Hope that helps.

I`ve painted a few cars in my time .. and the key word is `preparation`.

If that panel isnt immaculately clean, flat and dry when they spray it, believe me youll notice afterwards lol.

imported_R56r
06-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

Doesn`t sound very professional to me.

I always thought a good paint job involved removing all wax and surface contamination, leveling the paint down to the scratch level, sand it, prime it (two to three coats), then spraying 3-4 coats of color followed by a few coats of clear.

I may be way off on this one too :D

I`m sure they removed all the old wax and contamination. They did level the paint and scratches because with the new paint on , it`s seemless.

Originally posted by Smoker

If it was simple scratches to be repaired they would prolly sand out the scratched area, fill it with stopper paste then prime it.

More often than not bodyshops will respray and entire panel the scratch was on to ensure a good colour match, as blending in on old paint is VERY hard to get perfect, so they use the natural body lines such as door shuts and trim lines to `break up` the way you see the colour.

The rest of the panel they would just scuff up the old paint, de-wax it with prepsol to make sure its super-clean, finally tack cloth it in the booth before they spray.

Then its compounded out when theyre done to make it all nice n shiny.

Hope that helps.

I`ve painted a few cars in my time .. and the key word is `preparation`.

If that panel isnt immaculately clean, flat and dry when they spray it, believe me youll notice afterwards lol.

That helped, thanks. The shop said it was ok to paint like that and I wanted to confirm that here. If the shop messed up and the paint starts to peel, I can go back because they gave me a lifetime warranty,:xyxthumbs