PDA

View Full Version : Help! Small depressions in Urethane

MSOsr
06-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Help!

I purchased a brushed aluminum "engine finisher" for my 350Z. It is a thin "plate" covering the top area from the front bumper to the radiator (besides the cosmetic effect, it is also supposed to help direct air through, instead of over, the radiator.

Installation is by popping the existing plastic rivets on top of the urethane bumper (that hold the bumper top to the frame), putting the finisher in place, and re-installing the rivets. As you might have guessed from the subject line, when I used a screwdriver to pop the rivets loose, I put down a towel to protect the paint; unfortunately, I didn`t see that I was making slight depressions in the urethane while prying.

To 99.5% of the people, the depressions are invisible. However, to me and other Autopians/anal retentives, they are visible when the light is from directly overhead, even with the hood closed.

Any ideas what could be done to make the urethane return to its prior configuration? Might it do it on its own? (I just installed it last night).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

phildeez
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
some pics of the damage might help... i always thought urethane would reform itself with time.

MSOsr
06-06-2003, 01:18 PM
I hope you`re right!

The paint finish is not harmed. There are merely little "channels" where I apparently pushed down the shaft of the screwdriver to pry up the rivets (and their holders). Looking at it straight on from the front, the channels form very shallow "u" shapes.