PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Questions

Rednsxe
06-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Well a week ago i dropped off my car to a body shop to repaint a few body panels on my car, I asked them if they can help me touch up on all the heavy swirl marks that are on my car. Well when they looked at it, they said it looks fairly thin and that since its a 11year old car, and if they use a machine to buff it, they`re scared they might buff off the clear coat and into the paint.

After hearing that i was pretty bummed that they didn`t want to try to help me detail it. It also brings me to a point where i`m scared of using stuff like DACP to try to remove the swirls, i`m scared i might break thru the clear coate. Any ideas on this? Or any experts in the S.F. Bay area wanna take a look?

imported_FUEL
06-06-2003, 07:57 AM
DACP is really not that aggressive. I detailed a 1995 Purple Saturn last weekend and used a much more abrasive 3M product and a white pad with the rotary and a cutting pad and it turned out pretty damn good. I did not grind the hell out of it by any means and could nto get all the swirls out but they were drastically reducded. If you are using DACP with a PC you really have very little to worry about. WIth a rotary be careful. Go to a local body shop and see if they will give you an old hood or quarter pannel to pratice on. That is what I did with the rotary