PDA

View Full Version : hard water spots problem

hambonez711
06-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I bought a new 03 CObra last week and have finally gotten around to doing some detailing. Its a black Cobra to boot..i love a challenge I guess...but anyway, Im having some problems with water spots on the roof that I can see under floresent lights....ive tried scratch x to various other car polishes with no luck.

Any ideas?? Do I need to scrub a lot harder with the scratch X or Polish?

Thanks

Nick

topnotchtouch
06-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SVTNICK

I bought a new 03 CObra last week and have finally gotten around to doing some detailing. Its a black Cobra to boot..i love a challenge I guess...but anyway, Im having some problems with water spots on the roof that I can see under floresent lights....ive tried scratch x to various other car polishes with no luck.

Any ideas?? Do I need to scrub a lot harder with the scratch X or Polish?

Thanks

Nick

I would try to move up to something a little more abrasive like maybe Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover. Rubbing harder could introduce scratches. How many applications have you tried with Scratch X? It probably won`t remove it on the first try, it may take several applications.

I believe others have had some success with Vinegar. I would do a search though before actually trying that, never done it myself.

lleerd1
06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
wash car spray on white vinegar wah again .

then you need to rewax

hambonez711
06-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Ive tried the swirl remover as well...and yes ive tried numerous coats...i will look into the vinegar idea..thanks for the advice thus far-

Nick

topnotchtouch
06-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by SVTNICK

Ive tried the swirl remover as well...and yes ive tried numerous coats...i will look into the vinegar idea..thanks for the advice thus far-

Nick

Nick,

With a black car I would seriously think about investing in a Dual Action Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 or 7336. They are the same machine just different accessory kits but, the 7336 can be had for a little over $100. You can find them at Lowes. You might want to do a search here if you want to learn more about them before making the leap.

By the way, how do you like the 03 Cobra? A little too rich for my blood right now but I am hoping in a year or two to trade my 01 GT in for a Dark Shadow Gray 03 Cobra `Vert.

hambonez711
06-04-2003, 02:21 PM
That is probably a good idea..i have an old 89 Camry to practice on too...lol

THe 03 Cobra is awsome..i never thought it would be much better then my 01 but i was wrong..alot of fun to take to the track...ill probably start modding her in early July.

Thomasfl
06-04-2003, 03:12 PM
I did a car this morning for an autopian who had posted and tried everything for water spots from vinegar to smr`s to glass cleaner with heavy abrasives. The spots were very noticeable on the glass and less on the paint. I got them all off using Clearkote`s metal polish, I remember somebody posting about using it on windows. I did some by hand which was working and then got out the PC with a yellow CMA pad, no problem. I used a little on the paint, easily came off.

s2skimon
06-04-2003, 03:53 PM
had the same problem..

Dry it quickly after washing esp if in warmer temps.

For existing water spots, I used pure vinegar on a MF towel and bam, bam ! they were gone

imported_Smoker
06-04-2003, 05:58 PM
We did a black MB SLK Kompressor today with NASTY waster marks all over the paint.

Tried a few things and eventually settled on AIO to get the marks out followed by UPP to make it shine.

Tony Jngrbrd was muttering away to himself cos :

1) DACP wouldnt touch the marks and we didnt wanna get the Diamond Cut out.

2) The UPP smeared cos of the sun, looked a mess till we figured out what was wrong, and

3) we had another 6 cars to do before 3pm.

:scared

All came out nice n shiny in the end tho :up

http://home.attbi.com/~m.sandstrom/merchood.jpg

cardsfaninky
06-04-2003, 08:08 PM
I got so tired of this I called The Culligan man.For $21 a month they installed a softener on lease.IT is great.Not to mention the shower and savings on soap and the hot water heater and faucets etc.

andriver
06-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey Nick, have you tried using a clay bar on the water spots? My wife`s black mustang had the same problem. I used the clay bar with lots of lubricant followed by Clearkote QD. It took out the spots and left the surface clean and clear. Good luck....Andrew