PDA

View Full Version : Oldsmobile Wheel Detailing

godofthunder
06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
My wheels are not that good right now. THey are the Clear Coarted Alum. ones. Being unknowledgeable, I used some Mother Alum. polish on them a few times. They are not that bad, but look quite rought right now. I have done the Megs 3 step to em, and the looked nice for a while, but now are down again.

Also, when getting new tires, these black marks are on there arround the cetner cap. Wish some rubbing they come off.

First, they need to be cleaned. I have a bucnh of brake dust on the back, and this dirt ont he front. What would yall use to get em really clean?

Also, I heard wax is bad. WHat are some cheap sealants I can use to last a little longer.

Thanks

jon

Bwana
06-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Is unknowledgeable a word? :confused: ;)

I would pick up some Eagle One A2Z. It comes in a bright orange spray bottle. Read, and follow the directions, and it gets a lot of the crap off without agitation. With agitation, it will get pretty much all of the crap off. :D

P.S. I used A2Z on the rim in my avatar!!

<----- :eek: :o

oldakowski
06-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Hey Bwana, what polish did you use on those rims? The before and after comparison is awesome!

ferb!

2wheelsx2
06-04-2003, 02:04 AM
A good economical sealant to use on wheels is Meguiar`s #20 - Polymer Sealant. Has cleaners, so is easy to use. Only caveat is that it`s bit runny, so there is a tendency to use too much. Try it, I think you`ll like it.

Bwana
06-04-2003, 07:34 AM
I actually only used 409 Citrus stuff, paper towels, and a ton of elbow grease. It`s actually a little bit of photo trickery too. The before is w/o flash, and obviously, nothing`s shiny. The after pic is with flash, and things are shiny to actually reflect it. ;)

Now, I used this blue metal polish stuff, it`s got a reeeeaaally nasty smell, but it works wonders. It`s a little tub smaller then S100, I can get it at my local Pepboys, so you could probably find it locally too.

Accumulator
06-04-2003, 11:55 AM
godofthunder - you`ve probably thinned your clearcoat with the aluminum polish, so try to be gentle with them. For cleaning off the heavy deposits, I get good results with clay and then something like BF polish/AIO/SRP. On the back, you might try GENTLY scrubbing with a MILD Scotch-brite pad, one of the ones for no-stick surfaces. It might cause some marring (probable) but it might be needed to cut through the caked-on stuff.

godofthunder
06-04-2003, 01:21 PM
yeah, im sure the clear coat is quite thin. But i am pretty sure there is still some there.

On some of the flat areas, there is what appears as scratches and faded somewhat.

I just dont want to buy another set right now, or refinish them. They do have some (well, a few) skuff marks and curbs. Im not going to even woirry about them, but really want some of the surfaces clean looking.

jon