PDA

View Full Version : Clay lubricant

theBrat
06-03-2003, 10:11 AM
I was wondering if using a mixture of water and liquid Dawn is ok as a lubricant for paint cleaning clay. Seems kind of costly to use QD spray everytime, and the Dawn would help stip old wax even more. I tried it and thought it worked well, but if anyone thinks this is bad for some reason please let me know. I actually like it but I would like feedback if anyone thinks this is bad for some reason.

chris0626
06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
The search engine is your friend (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23452). As Nick says there, use a good-quality car wash. I wouldn`t use Dawn because it`s so strongly alkaline.

Lynn Matthews
06-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by theBrat

Seems kind of costly to use QD spray everytime, and the Dawn would help stip old wax even more.

I agree with the other Lynn about the Dawn, seems a little harsh. Have you looked into the Final Detail? It comes in 1 and 5 gallons and is a much better deal as far as price. ;)

Lynn

Patrick
06-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Ya know, good ol fashioned water works too........:xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
06-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Adding a bit of soap to the water seems to help. I`ve tried it a few different ways. Water isn`t quite slippery enough. Add a little soap to it and it seems to work much better. I`ve gotten to the point where when I am going to clay a car I don`t really spend that much time trying to dry it. A few swipes with the california water blade and I break out the spray bottle and clay. I just wash it again when I`m done. Its not really that much more time added. I clayed and polished out an entire car with DACP, AIO, and UPP in less than 2 hours today using that method.

Old Rattle Flat
06-05-2003, 05:53 AM
If I`m doing a dawn wash in prep for Zaino to get down to bare paint I use dawn and water as a lube, but if I`m not doing a dawn wash I`ll use a milder car wash such as Z7 mixed with water as a lube. Either way I mix 1 ounce soap to 11 or 12 ounces of water, and am working on a wet car after washing. However, I did just try the new Autopia Glide, and imo it did seem to work better than anything else I`ve tried.

Patrick
06-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Im just saying that if you are in a bind, you dont really need anything other than water....I usually clay during my wash anyway.....

Labshark
06-06-2003, 03:15 PM
I use Blackfire clay lube,

yeah, yeah its expensive, blah blah. It works great, no hassle, and you can buy an entire kit for 25 bucks. Hard to beat.