PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to get rid of white haze.

uflraptor
08-18-2004, 02:13 PM
I’m looking for a little direction and advice. I’m looking forward to trying on some of my new Poorboys products this weekend. I’ll be working on a friend Nissan Sentra. She clearly doesn’t take very good care of it. It might have been waxed once if that. I`m a little concerned about the "white haze" on the trunk and hood.

Here is what I have: PC (of course), SSR 2.5, SSR 1, VM, EXP, EX, 3MPIIRC and a number of pads. I want this Sentra to looks its best. Not just for her but so I can get a taste of how these products will look on my own cars. I’d really prefer to not buy any other products for this project. I’ll post some pics below.

All advice is welcome.

Shawn

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/16920hood.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/16920trunk.jpg

JaredPointer
08-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Wow. You have your work cut out for you. Looks like you will need to set aside a lot of time to get this one looking like you want it. Sound slike you have a good stable of products, and if you give it time you should be a-okay.

NYV6Coupe
08-18-2004, 02:27 PM
attaboy, practicing on someone else`s car ...... ha ha

good thing you`ve got a PC, saves wear-n-tear on the arms

The Fuzz
08-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, it is either oxidation or clear coat failure. Oxidation is easy, but clear coat failure is not. You will have to repaint if that is the issue. Especially if all you have is a PC. I doubt that even a rotary and Diamond Cut would do much if it is clear coat failure.

bufferman71
08-18-2004, 03:26 PM
actually, its the solvents in the paint not curing before the clear was applied. you can buf it and itll hide, but it will come back. its one easy way to tell a cars been repainted incorrectly.

The Fuzz
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Why do you assume that this is a repaint? If that is 10 year old paint then it is very likely that it is oxidation or even clear coat failure. I don`t see where it was implied that the car had been repainted.

bufferman71
08-18-2004, 04:02 PM
ive seen it many times on a repaint. im not sayin im 100 % right, just that it has the symptoms of a repaint.

edschwab1
08-18-2004, 08:09 PM
It looks like oxidation or staining. Sounds like you have products which can take care of the problem. Atleast make the problem less visible. Try different combos of pad and abrasives and find what works and what you like. We do not have magic wands which neglected cars look better than new.

By the the car has been waxed once or twice, look at the trim and third brake light, wax stains.

After polishing the car, I would re-wash the whole vehicle and spray down the hood and front bumper with 50/50 mix, to help remove polish reside from the paint chips.

Eric

Jngrbrdman
08-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Try and remove it. If it comes off, then its oxidation. If it doesn`t, then it is clear coat failure and you have to repaint. Waxing over clear coat failure can make it stand out a lot. Like Eric says, it is obviously not very well cared for and there is wax over the letters on the brake light. Try a cleaning product with light abrasives and see what that does on a section. Oxidation and clear coat failure look very different in person. I don`t usually see oxidation in isolated areas like that, so my guess is that the clear is shot. I only say that because I just don`t see oxidation do that kind of stuff. Maybe it does, but I never see it like that. Its usually all over the car. That car looks shiney and waxed. Oxidized cars don`t look like that.

uflraptor
08-19-2004, 08:22 AM
I really appreciate all the advice that has been offered. I’m really hopping its just oxidation and not clear coat failure. There the hood and trunk are not the only affected areas. These are just the most obvious and were the easiest to photograph under the existing lighting conditions. I really didn’t want to use flash as my experience has shown that flash can produce a less accurate representation of the fact.

I will update everyone after the weekend. I’m leaning toward starting off with SSR 2.5 with a polishing pad. Then I’ll step up to SSR 2.5 with a more aggressive foam type compounding pad. Last resort will be my 3M compound. Again thanks for all the help.

Shawn

Don
08-20-2004, 05:01 AM
To me it looks more like oxidation. The Beretta I recently detailed looked similar plus it had TONS of scratches and micro-swirls that made it look worse. 2 passes with DACP (SSR 2.5 in your case) and the difference was night & day. Depending on how bad it is and the amount of time you take working the polishes, there MIGHT be a slight clouding left (which is what I ended up with on the Beretta`s trunk lid) but I`m the only one who could see it, the owner, her boyfriend & her mother (the previous owner of the car) all thought it looked better than showroom.

Good Luck

edschwab1
08-27-2004, 09:40 PM
uflraptor,
How did the Nissan turn out?

Eric