PDA

View Full Version : 3M Clear Bra on white cars

MTMS4
06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
I did a search before posting this, but couldn`t find exactly what I`m looking for.

I`m contemplating fitting a Stongard (full) kit to my new WRX STi when it arrives in September. Only potential problem is that the car is a (pure) Aspen White colour and I`m worried the 3M film might be obvious, especially as it ages (and possibly yellows, though it`s supposed not to ?).

This will be my daily driver and I live in Rochester, Upstate NY where they love using rock salt in the winter.....my current ride (Audi S4) looks like it`s been peppered with a 12 gauge.

I tend to hand-wash my cars weekly and wax 3-4 times a year (Sonax or Autoglym) but I`m going to give Zaino a try on the STi (something different). I`m not really anal about detailing, but I like to keep them looking as good as possible.

Anyone have a 3M ClearBra product on a white car/truck.....would you recommend it, or should I just use touch-up paint instead (hell of a lot cheaper !!).

Finally, if there`s anyone on this board from Rochester NY (or thereabouts) could you recommend an EXPERIENCED professional installer ?

Thanks for any help/advice,

Bill (Autopia Newbie).

imported_FUEL
06-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Well I can tell you that when you put it on a car it is not noticable unless you look really hard. But the bad news is that after about 3-4 years it will yellow on a white car. Just get someone to do it that will warr it then when it yellows go back to them and have them replace it

MTMS4
06-02-2003, 07:33 PM
FUEL,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

I think Stongard comes with a lifetime warranty if professionally installed........I dunno, guess I may take the path of least resistance and forget about it...........any other colour than white and I think it`s a no-brainer.

However, I`ve read lots of horror stories about Subaru`s thin paint and the Sti sure has a lot of frontal area, so I`m in a bit of a quandry....plenty of time to mull it over though.

Thanks once again,

Bill.

Deanski
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
MTMS4,

I have Armorglove installed on my SC430, and I can tell you that this is the best investment I made. I had them install the following:

1) Hood (wrapped fully under the edges of the hood) so you do not see any seams except for where it ends.

2) Front bumper/air-dam

3) Headlights

4) Fender next to headlight area called "wing"

5) Side mirrors

6) All lower rocker panels

7) Door cups for those nasty fingernails!

Armorglove can do custom work, and I`ve seen what they can do!

I`d recommend an installer to do it, not easy as it looks, and they have the proper tools, which are specific to the film.

Armorglove can be reached at: Armorglove (http://www.armorglove.com/)

Also, the film from 3M: 3m ScotchCal (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS9YKCX6HYbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_PKD7VS0CHGgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

I like the fact that Armorglove uses a bit thicker type than most others. Also, others do not wrap the hood, so you see a seam around the edges. The film is more noticable on a white car than a dark car.

Do yourself a favor, look at Armorglove and even if you do not use them, make sure you use a professional installer to do it after you repair any paint defects.

Let us know what your choice is!

Regards,

Deanski

MTMS4
06-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Deanski,

Many thanks...........what a fantastic and friendly forum !!

I`m going to make a few local enquiries to see what 3M products are available with professional installation...the choices are mind boggling even though many (all ?) of them use the same 3M film. I`ve not checked out Armorgove before; thanks for the link. Custom fitting may be more preferable to the standard kit, since I could then get the whole hood covered and eliminate the unsightly seam (as you suggested).

I`ve read a lot of good reports about Stongard on AudiWorld.com.

Bill.

Deanski
06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
MTMS4,

There`s nothing really wrong with Stoneguard, just ask if they can or more importantly, if they are able to wrap the film under the sides of the hood so you do not see it. If they can, check also with the 3M product, some are a bit more glossy and some are a bit more satin finish. Try to ask for a sample to "mock-up" at test on your color to see which best fits your needs.

Armorglove has more of a satin or flat finish, not producing more gloss, just what is under the film is what counts!

One other item: Make SURE you polish your areas to the level you want them prior to application. Most importantly, DO NOT WAX the area as it has to be free from ALL wax! Try not to use any polish with "fillers" or oils that may start to weep out of the finish once it`s on. Once the film is ready to be installed, it will better match the entire car.

Do get the headlights done! This way, the sand blasting from all the sand on the road only effects the protection, and you can remove it and install a fresh one when you see it`s getting bad! Same problem in my area, lots of sand! My windshield has been replaced several times on my company car due to the sand.

On my SC430 (RED), you really can`t see it unless you get REALLY close to the hood. The rest is just invisible to the untrained eye!

All of the people here are great to reach out to on all type of detail and paint issues! This is where I get the best info and ideas.

As you can see from 3M .PDF files, it`s not for the faint-of-heart to install this stuff, let alone the special tools you need.

Check with others as to who did their film and if they would recommend it.

Good luck, and let all of us know how you do!

Deanski

imported_FUEL
06-02-2003, 09:04 PM
I have the 3m on my car and it has saved my a$$ on a handful of occasions. I would for sure get it done I would just have a professional do it. Good luck with what ever you choose and welcome to Autopia!

RJJ
06-03-2003, 04:53 PM
The product makes alot of sense to me.

The edges are really all that I can see and I don`t understand why the product is not cut at an angle where it ends on the metal.