PDA

View Full Version : DACP vs. Perfect-It III: Which is better?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ntwrkguy1
06-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have a great deal of experience with these two products? I`ve used DACP a bunch, but have only used PI-III two times. It seemed to me that the PI-III gave better results, but since the results were actually on two different cars, that`s tough to say.

OUCH
06-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Aren`t there several kinds of PI-III, there`s a Fine Cut Compound, Machine Glaze and Hand Glaze. You might specify which one you`re trying to compare DACP with

ntwrkguy1
06-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Ooops......that should have been Perfect-It III Machine Glaze.

adjulian
06-02-2003, 04:05 PM
geekysteve did a great review on PI III MG in comparison to FI II and DACP - if you do a SEARCH you will find the thread along with other member`s thoughts regarding PI III MG.

Here is the link though:

Geekysteve PI III MG Review (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20060&highlight=PerfectIt+III+Machine+Glaze)

Nick T.
06-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Recently I spent a couple of hours playing with 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (05397) and Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze (05941). Both are excellent products, and have the advantage of being available locally - even in smaller towns. I’ve decided that PI-III FG will be my very mild polish of choice replacing P21S GEPC, and PI-III MG will be my mild polish choice replacing 3M SMR or Meg’s #9.

Bruce
06-02-2003, 05:16 PM
I`ve only recently started experimenting with the two products, and I think they are two different animals, not an either/or thing. I may think differently after more experience with them, but I found the PI-III MG to be significantly milder than the DACP. You can use PI-III MG as a second step to clean up after the DACP (if needed).

In adjulian`s link above you will find a link to Geekysteve`s comparison of the two products in which he concludes that he loves PI-III MG and will relegate his DAPC to the trash can. Just remember that he was using a rotary; with a PC I have a place for both products.

imported_FUEL
06-02-2003, 07:21 PM
I just bought both from Premimum Auto care. I will let you know in a 2 weeks if you want to send me a PM to remind me!

unclearty
06-03-2003, 06:10 AM
I, too, have recently been playing with both products on a black Benz. They are similar, however....I noticed that the Perfect It III seemed to make the paint deeper and blacker than the DACP. I thought I was going crazy so I had my wife look at the 2 panels. She agreed that the DACP panel looked grayer than the other section. I brought home some more PI III to do over the the DACP panel....I`ll see what happens.

So far ..it looks like my finish of choice is going to be...PI III, AIO and UPP. AIO is due on Thursday.

Can I use VM between the PI III and the AIO ???

Nick T.
06-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by unclearty

So far ..it looks like my finish of choice is going to be...PI III, AIO and UPP. AIO is due on Thursday. Since you are going with PUPP for your sealant I’m wondering why you are using AIO instead of PUPP-C for your final preparation step.

unclearty
06-03-2003, 08:43 AM
I am looking for longevity. Since black is so hard to keep up, I`m going to finish the car with PI III to get her smooth and deep...then AIO for the acrylic base and UPP for the top layer and gloss. I`ve been through the UPP and S100 topper routine, and although it looks great, it also attracts more pollen and dust. So..I`ve removed the S100 and am awaiting the delivery of AIO in the next couple of days

Nick T.
06-03-2003, 08:50 AM
unclearty - - Good reasoning! I’m currently playing with different synthetics (Zaino, Klasse, Platinum, and EX) as a base for carnauba on my Jet Black paint. No results yet.

Bruce
06-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Nick, I asked the same question recently, why use AIO instead of UPP-C under UPP, and was told that AIO had greater cleaning power. I`m not sure that`s relevant to me because I would try to have my paint polished and clean before applying a sealant or wax. On the other hand, maybe cleaning means getting rid of the oils and fillers left by the paint prep. That said, I will be trying AIO under UPP because 1) I already have AIO on hand, 2) I have an irrational faith in AIO for doing just about everything, and 3) I am feeling guilty about abandoning SG.

But my REAL reason for trying AIO/UPP is that Autopians have tried it, liked it, and reported that it works.

Unclearty, you asked if VM would work before AIO. I have heard VM contains a mild abrasive, so its polishing effect sounds good. But I seriously doubt that the oils, emollients, elixars, ointments or any other magical potions it may add to the paint would survive the ruthless cleaning power of AIO.

Thomasfl
06-03-2003, 11:34 AM
this might be a little off base from the original thread. I have had great results using DACP, VM, UPP. I did a few black cars last week that were absolutely stunning, pics to come. I had no smearing or bonding issues and couldn`t imagine topping it with a carnauba. The VM adds depth that I never saw with AIO or UPC.

Nick T.
06-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Bruce - - Good point about the cleaning power of AIO. It’s definitely more aggressive than PUPP-C.

Accumulator
06-03-2003, 11:43 AM
thomasfl - Off-thread or not, thanks for the input. I`ve been waiting to hear about the VM/PUPP combo, wondered about bonding issues. Hmm.. I have AIO, GEPC, and VM on hand to choose from for the base of my PUPP...still debating.

And ON-THREAD, I`m gonna try the PI-III 05937 for the polish step.