PDA

View Full Version : Something stronger than Lexol

Scott P
06-02-2003, 08:09 AM
A buddy of mine has a 98 GP and says he needs something `stronger` than Lexol for his leather. Apparently, it has gotten `a little hards and lost its shape`. Is this something Leatherique would be suited for?

BradE
06-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Sure is, Leatherique is great for neglected leather. :up It is however a kinda involved process, and not cheap. You might want to help him with application, it`s not something I would let a newbie try alone for the first time. :bigups

C. Charles Hahn
06-02-2003, 08:37 AM
I would look at it first too before having him order leatherique... often times he might just not be letting the product do its stuff for long enough. I know 98 leather can be quite stiff by now, but if you clean it really thorough (maybe forgo the lexol pH and use a really dilute dawn mixture) and let a very liberal ammount of the conditioner soak in for about an hour or two, it might help out more.

Also another product you might try to get it softer is neatsfoot oil. This should be available at any shoe repair, and also has a waterproofing effect on the leather. I use it all the time on my leather stuff, especially works well on saxophone pads to keep them from rotting as quickly.

Accumulator
06-02-2003, 06:41 PM
I`ve had decent results with Griot`s Leather Rejuvenator. It softened up leather that was at the point of neglect that it sounded like dry paper when you sat on it. It won`t "heal" or "restore" the leather like some products, but it`s a similar-but-different alternative to the neatsfoot oil.

chris0626
06-02-2003, 09:58 PM
oooooo-eeeeee! I`m working to resurrect the leather on a `75 XJ6 coupe. Did the leatherique treatment -- rejuvenator oil + prestine clean -- this weekend, and I`m amazed at the results. Restored a lot of that "glove leather" feel. But I`m not 100% satisfied with the degree of softness, so later this week I`ll be applying Zaino leather conditioner on top, and --if you want -- can tell you how it goes.