PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Trim - Tips N Tricks

Pages : [1] 2

jsoto
06-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Any tips or Tricks you guys use when doing exterior trim detailing.

I`ve got huge areas of rubber trim on my X5 (bumpers) and the door panels.

I use One Grand Erv, Eagle One Concours + Stoners Trim Shine. I think I`m going to try the MSLT Silicone Formula on the bumpers to see if it will last longer and give it a nice black to it.

For areas like the wheel arches / door trim, what tips can you provide. I usually spray it on a spoge that`s been misted with water (so it won`t absorb too much of the product) and wipe it on. Inevitably, I do get some on the door panels......I just wipe it with a clean MF but just curious to see if there is a better technique.

When applying dressings to tires, is it the norm to wipe the runoff that goes onto the wheels. I do but just curious to see if some peeps out there just leave it on.

Patrick
06-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Jsoto, just give yourself ample time to accomplish all the trim and rubber....I normally apply all trim products with a small cotton towel, small makeup sponges, and q-tips........As for tires, i use No Touch which has a pretty good direction nozzle, then clean the rims after that...The product doesnt run at all.......

jsoto
06-02-2003, 12:30 AM
ahh....never thought about that. You`re talking about those trianguler makeup sponges. Gotta ask my second half for some freebies nows.......

imported_nowaterno
06-02-2003, 08:17 AM
I like 303 for anything that is susceptible to UV damage, and isn`t it true that the primary aging force on rubber is UV?

Patrick
06-02-2003, 11:05 AM
UV kills everything, however, most trims/weatherstiping is actually a plastic composite, so they dont deteriorate as fast as they use to......303, from what i hear, is excellent, i have some ordered and due thursday !

chris0626
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Patrick

I normally apply all trim products with a small cotton towel, small makeup sponges, and q-tips

OHMIGAWD! That`s brilliant!! :up

Accumulator
06-02-2003, 12:23 PM
jsoto - I just treat exterior trim with AIO+SG or BFII. Like you, I wipe the dressing off the rims so it doesn`t make a mess with brake (and other) dust.

Patrick
06-02-2003, 02:32 PM
OHMIGAWD! That`s brilliant!!

LMAO !

chris0626
06-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Guess I should have been clearer. It`s the makeup sponge idea that blew my socks off. Even smaller and cheaper than our typical foam applicators. I love it! You`re a genius.

Patrick
06-02-2003, 11:50 PM
They are real cheap too, course any price is too much for a freeeeeeeeekin toss-a-way sponge ??!!

imported_jgv
06-03-2003, 04:26 AM
I usually buy and have one sheet of foam (about 1M x 1M) and cut as needed, depending on where I`m going to use it. Then I toss it away.

Pats300zx
06-03-2003, 06:00 AM
It`s the makeup sponge idea that blew my socks off. Even smaller and cheaper than our typical foam applicators. I love it! You`re a genius

I also found these to be awesome. They are much easier to control than the foam brushes and are easier to put dressing on trim etc with.

I already raided most of the dollar stores in the area for mine lol..

JustinR32
06-03-2003, 07:38 AM
I`ve just been cutting big sponges into little sponges with a pair of scissors. You can also shape them how you want them that way.

And, I wipe off the 303 that gets on the paint with QD rather than a dry MF.

Mosca

imported_f150smith
06-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Being a home improvement guy as well, i always keep a bag of those foam type paint brushes around for touch up paint and certain stains. They are also great for detailing trim and other tight areas. I buy a bag of assorted size ones from my local ACE hardware for 1.99 and it has 12 in it with widths from 1/2" to 2". They are also chisel shaped so they go around tight spots great.

Jake11375
06-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Never thought about the makeup sponge thing. That will work perfect since you can just cut it in the shape you need. Excellent idea! You always learn something on this site. That`s why I can`t go a day without it!:up