PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover

Pages : [1] 2

Ollivanders382
06-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Hi! I`m Lauren. I`m brand-new, not a car nerd, and quite terrified of posting on a forum out of my depth, so be nice!:)

I heard you all here are "car care fanatics" and I`m looking for a nice (and *reasonably* priced!) car cover for my 2002 VW Golf. Most unfortunately, it lives outside, so I want to protect it from at least *some* of the evil elements. I`m not looking for anything really hardcore, just something between my car and the rain and pollen we`re prone to here in VA and something that`s easy to get on and off (I`m a little person, so it has to be!) and I don`t really want it to look too ghetto-fabulous either. Suggestions? Thanks!

cackleberry
06-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Welcome Lauren! :wavey

I recommend calling the folks at CMA http://www.properautocare.com/

They were very helpful and made sure I got the cover I needed. I went for the NOAH cover myself, but I`m sure they could find you one to suit your needs at a more reasonable price.

You may also want to try searching for some info on covers, I haven`t done so, but I`m sure there are threads here somewhere.

Ollivanders382
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Fabulous! I look there. Anyone else have any good advice?

chris0626
06-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cackleberry

You may also want to try searching for some info on covers,

Like this (http://www.autopia.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=60781&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

The question has been asked so often that some folks may be weary of answering it.

Ollivanders382
06-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Oh, I`m sorry, I didn`t realize that`s what cackleberry was saying...

chris0626
06-02-2003, 11:51 AM
No problem. You`ll find some good info by reading thru those threads. I`ve printed several of them, as I too am seeking a cover for an outdoor car.

I don`t think you`re going to find any good cover under $150. (For my mid-size car, most are closer to $250 and up.) I tried getting one of the $70 ones from an auto supply store, thinking maybe it would be "good enough." Took it home, executed the infamous "Autopia CD Scratch Test" (rubbing the inside of the cover fairly vigorously across a CD), and it scratched the dickens out of the CD. So back to the store it went. The only thing worse than exposing your car to the elements is using a car cover that scratches the paint.

Accumulator
06-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Ollivanders382 - Welcome to Autopia. I`d caution you not to skimp TOO much on the cover. It`s sorta a case of you get what you pay for. Buying from a good vendor is important (don`t buy a Wally-world special).

Edit: Lynn beats me to the post again ;)

Ollivanders382
06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. The CD idea is a really good one, I would have never thought of that. I`ll definitely try it when I procure my cover and before I put it on my car....

Do you think a VW dealership would be a good place to start looking?

chris0626
06-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Uh .... are you reading the sources we`ve suggested?

Ollivanders382
06-02-2003, 03:28 PM
I am *such* an idiot. That`s a response to a completely different forum!!! Sorry, I`m not disregarding your advice at all!!! That`s what I get for trying to do 3 things at once.

Thanks again!

chris0626
06-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I understand. Multitasking: the curse of modern America.

Accumulator
06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Ollivanders382- While you`ve found this place, you might look around a bit regarding basic car care. There`s a broad range between the local carwash and sorta obessive detailing so common here. Don`t let the extreme stuff put you off. You can at least find out which products and actions should be avoided.

Feel free to ask questions...

chris0626
06-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks to the advice of threads on Autopia -- and several detailed PMs from Accumulator -- I now have a car cover. Bought the Stormweave from California Car Cover. I was particularly interested in a car cover that would protect against hail, since I do not have a garage for the antique Jaguars. It arrived this week. Now, if I can just get the Jags out of the painting/upholstery shops, I`ll give a report on my findings.

CHScholl
06-28-2003, 09:40 PM
What you choose really depends on a couple key items. But for starters here`s what I determined in a recent search for a cover for a Ranger truck:

Probably the lowest cost cover rated for outside use is an Evolution Product. However, this os not a woven fabric and does break down after a couple years if exposed daily to sun,leaving dust on the surface.

I was advised by someone in the auto upholstery business who`s seen a lot more covers than I ever will that many of the custom fitted covers are a bear to get on and off besides they are more expensive.

However, I ended up ordering a custom fitted Wolfe cover which goes on and off quite easily from Dashmat.com for LESS than the universal cover. Slightly more than a hundred bucks delivered to the door in less than a week. It is fine for my needs...which is ocassional use. However, it is BULKY. If I had purchased the storage bag it would have never been used. This thing expanded to five times it`s original size when I took it out of the box, sort of like a geenie.

Like everything there`s all levels, quality and prices, but I`m quite satisfied with an intermediate level cover.

imported_JetBlack
06-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Welcome Lauren, I cannot help you with your question but you may also want to ask the same question on a VW forum such as the http://forums.vwvortex.com/ I expect there will be some who has had expeience with some covers. VWvortex is also a good source of information on VW and Audi cars (in case you did not know that).