PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, Harley Chrome Exhaust pipes

JaCkaL829
08-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Today, I was over at my uncle`s house doing up my cousin`s black civic. He lives out in Indiana and just came back yesterday for a couple weeks, before moving out to San Diego. Anyway, while I was detailing his car, my other cousin`s husband was also there. My uncle`s been storing his Harley and he was trying to "fit in" I guess and was QDing his bike. Anyway after seeing what I was removing from the civic with SSR2.5, he was showing me some burnt rubber on his chrome exhaust pipes. So I say lemme try it with the PC and SSR2.5. I work it in around 5, 5.5 and completely remove the rubber. He was shocked. The only bad part about it was that one part is really hazed up. I realized I shouldn`t have been using the cutting pad, that I was using on the Civic. I followed up with SSR2.5 on a polshing pad and it really didn`t do anything else. He says its not that bad and he`d rather have it a little hazed up but I think hes saying it just to be nice. I really wanna fix it for him but not sure what kinda of approach to take. All I had was SSR2.5 and EX-P on me so my options were limited. He was talkin about buyin some metal polish but i`m not sure if that will really "clear" up the chrome. Any recomendations on what I should do? I was thinking maybe VM? I`m gonna be there Sunday night for a party so I was thinking of just bringin some stuff over and try clearing it up for him. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Beemerboy
08-18-2004, 08:51 AM
If its burnt rubber from shoes is what I`m thinking. I would have used lacquer thinner then polished with chrome polish or any decent polish. You want to dissolve the rubber then polish the residue off

Poorboy
08-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Sorry to say, it`s not coming back:( chrome is a very delicate and thin plating, not a real metal, and Pro Polish works like a charm for that purpose...that`s my favorite demo at a bike show,(removing rubber or nylon from pants from exhaust pipes) as it is quite common. Totally non-abrasive products should be used on chrome as to not induce any scratches or marring:dunno