PDA

View Full Version : How to remove duct tape?

Pages : [1] 2

johnson
05-31-2003, 06:49 PM
A friend used duct tape and plastic bags to cover up his window last week when the window mechanism broke. When he took it off, it left a lot of tape behind and im wondering what could remove it? I got a quart of Goo Gone today but am scared to use it on the paint when I did a search and found that it softens up paint. Would it be OK when used on the window and trim? BTW, the threads (# pattern) are still stuck to the adhesive.

Detailing NY
05-31-2003, 08:16 PM
stoners bug & tar remover will take it right off with no problems. I use it all the time. It will not damage the paint

NYD

jchetty
05-31-2003, 09:39 PM
if u ever need to do that again, put masking tape down first then use the ducktape to on the plastick and masking tape. this way, u get the strentgh of duck tape and the easy off of masking tape:up

thevolvoguy
05-31-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by jchetty

if u ever need to do that again, put masking tape down first then use the ducktape to on the plastick and masking tape. this way, u get the strentgh of duck tape and the easy off of masking tape:up

Wont the duct tape still stick to the other parts it touches?

:nixweiss

johnson
05-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by jchetty

It wasnt me.

Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Wont the duct tape still stick to the other parts it touches?

:nixweiss

The duct tape will stick to the masking tape and the bag, and the masking tape will stick to the paint.

imported_Intel486
05-31-2003, 11:38 PM
3M`s Adhesive Remover will also work. Can get that at places like pepboys and autozone. Remember to let the product do the work.

vdub_guy
06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
hmmm... failed window regulators? A VW perhaps?

jchetty
06-02-2003, 02:04 PM
its not uncommon for body shops to put masking tape on body parts when mounting them, if the parts smack 2gether the paint is ruined. usually the body shop will use a roller or something else so the masking tape doesnt adhere as much. when i take off my bumper, i always put masking tape just in case i accidentaly:D smack the body parts when mounting.:xyxthumbs

imported_Sqard
06-02-2003, 03:18 PM
If there are still bits of tape, try using a hair dryer, if its just residue left behind, use an adhesive remover thats meant for cars, but don`t try and buff to hard, if it doesnt come off, let the adhesive remover sit on there longer and repeat the process.

johnson
06-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by vdub_guy

I dont remember exactly what he said went wrong, but it was a Lincoln LS I did a few weeks back.

meGrimlock
06-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by vdub_guy

Argh, you beat me to it. :D

johnson
06-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Here`s a pic of it. Goo gone removed the residue that was on the left side, but didnt seem to work on the chrome part.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3390duct_tape_residue.jpg

chris0626
06-03-2003, 01:24 AM
YUK! That is some kinda ugly. :( If it were I, I`d be breaking out the heavy artillery, which (for me) would be lighter fluid. (Yeah, I know I`ve recommended that before. And I know it`s not good in the long term. But .... sheesh .. that is gross stuff FNG has to deal with.)

johnson
06-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Im gonna go find some lighter fluid tomorrow (containing naptha). Should I try to heat it up with a blow dryer first?

chris0626
06-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Hey, I`m just blowin` smoke here, making it up as I go along. (Well, not completely, because I have used lighter fluid on similar problems.) First, I would try just the plain ol` fluid. If it doesn`t take care of the problem, then, yeah, I`d apply a LITTLE (gradually) heat. But I don`t have nearly as much experience as some of the other Autopians, so can you wait and see what others may say tomorrow? (Lots of them are asleep already.)