PDA

View Full Version : Differnt Waxes with their matching Polishes

Murph1083
05-31-2003, 10:09 AM
I want to buy some new waxes for the summer. They all seem to have matching polishes for them (ex: im looking at pinnacle, P21S, Blackfire, Zaino) so i have to buy the polishes for all these or do i only need one? (such as just getting the pinnacle paintwork cleaner)

imported_Smoker
05-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Depends which you choose.

Some, like S100 (or P21S, same thing ...) dont care really what polish or paint cleaner you use underneath as long as it has something clean to bond to.

Zaino on the other hand is very particular about what you apply it over.

Do a few searches and you`ll soon find the favourite combos people use.

For example mine is - AIO then UPP topped with S100.

shaf
05-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Like Smoker said, it depends.

Those choices are like apples and oranges because some are polymer sealants and others are typical carnauba waxes. As a result they`ll have different options or requirements for what can be applied beneath them. There`s also different particulars with some of the sealants like Zaino vs. Blackfire.

The best thing to do really is search for each individual product and see what kind of possible combinations people are using. The carnauba waxes are probably the least "fussy" and you`ll see all sorts of products applied under them like glazes, AIO, sealants, their matching cleansers, etc. etc.

imported_BretFraz
05-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Each individual product has its own unique performance abilities so it may be wiser for you to choose products based on the results you want instead of just buying certain brands.

Zaino is unusual in that its a product line designed to work as a system. I feel that if Zaino products are used with other brands you are negatively affecting the Zaino performance. I do not understand the sense in doing that unless you are one of those people who love to experiment with product combinations regardless of whether its sensible or not. There`s certainly no harm in experimentation but with a product line like Zaino, it makes for some expensive experiments. Just my opinion....

If you are looking for a certain type of results, then buy the products that are designed to deliver them. If you just want new stuff to play with, don`t worry about buying a certain polish to go with a certain wax. Just buy whatever you want and use it with whatever else you`ve got. No harm in that.

I don`t know if this answered your question but hopefully it gets you thinking about things.

Scottwax
05-31-2003, 03:23 PM
I use 4 different products for 4 different manufactures when I do a 4 step process on a car. Took a lot of experimenting and a lot of products to find the combination I like best. You don`t necessarily have to use the matching polish for the wax you use.

Nick T.
05-31-2003, 04:01 PM
My two cents worth of opinion . . . . .

Since carnauba wax adheres to the underlying surface by friction only, it doesn’t really care what product was used previously. However, if the underlying surface is extra smooth (like multi-layered Zaino) then there may be some difficulty in the wax sticking.

Synthetics are another story. Since they form at least a partial molecular bond with the underlying surface, the same brand of final prep product may (or may not) do a better job of readying the surface for the synthetic sealant. This is pure speculation since I’ve done little experimenting with mixing synthetic products.

Spilchy
05-31-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I use 4 different products for 4 different manufactures when I do a 4 step process on a car. Took a lot of experimenting and a lot of products to find the combination I like best. You don`t necessarily have to use the matching polish for the wax you use.

Do you mind sharing those 4 products for that 4 step process? :o

I know vanilla moose & s100 play a role! ;)

Scottwax
05-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Do you mind sharing those 4 products for that 4 step process? :o

I know vanilla moose & s100 play a role! ;)

Big suprise, eh?

Meguiars Swirl Free Polish, Vanilla Moose, Car Polish`s Final Polish and S100. DACP first if needed.

Spilchy
05-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Big suprise, eh?

Meguiars Swirl Free Polish, Vanilla Moose, Car Polish`s Final Polish and S100. DACP first if needed.

And all by hand??!! That burgundy Porsche you did with the SMR, VM and s100 is incredible.

Quick question: Can you use VM on brand new cars?

I ask because my folk`s friends just bought the new Mercedes V12 coupe and CLK sedan......at the same time! I believe around $195,000. :cool: That`s too cool.

They want me to detail the exterior of both of them when I head out to their vacation home. :p

I was going to do GEPC, #7 then Blitz or P21s by hand. If I can use the VM, I would do just the VM followed by the carnuba since the VM has cleaners in it already.

I`m curious to see if there will be swirls from dealer prep after the Dawn wash! If so, I may need to use Menzerna Final Polish with the PC to start. Anyone want to take bets ;)

Oh, Scottwax, can you provide me a link to Final Polish? I believe I may have it but want to double check it. Do you use their hand glaze?

Murph1083
05-31-2003, 09:58 PM
well if i had Zaino, Black Fire, Pinnacle, P21S, can i just use the Pinnacle PC for all these waxes?

Scottwax
06-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Spilchy-just do a search in the product discussion forum on `final polish`. There is a link in the thread.

Vanilla Moose and a carnuba topper would be fine on new cars.

shaf
06-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Murph1083

well if i had Zaino, Black Fire, Pinnacle, P21S, can i just use the Pinnacle PC for all these waxes? For the P21S and (obviously) Pinnacle waxes, yes. For the other two, maybe not... apples and oranges you know. ;)