PDA

View Full Version : When are the water spots too deep?!

imported_Page
05-30-2003, 11:58 AM
This item has been bugging me for a while, and I wanted to ask for the help of Autopia. When should you give up on removing water/acid rain damage?

I own a 2002 Titanium Pearl Legacy GT sedan. The car was a dealer demo. I picked it up for a nice deal, and have owned it for about a year now. When I checked out the car in the showroom, I twisted my neck this way and that under the showroom lights to check for paint defects. I did not see any and so moved on in the process. I later found that the idiots did not even wax the car in the first year. I think probably a glaze was applied before it hit the showroom, and this hid the spots.

I took the car home, ABC`d, clayed, and then proceeded to polish, and Klasse the car. Under the lighs of my garage, I noticed that the hood, top, and trunck all have what appear to by water spots. NOTHING on the sides of the car, only the horizontal surfaces.

To make a long story short, I have used the PC with Menzerna twins, 3M Perfect IT II in a small spot by hand and have not removed them.

I am a bit afraid to keep polishing, as I don`t want to remove too much clear. SO for now I have simply PPCL`d the car, and Klassed over top of it. The car is shiny, but in the bright sun, or under flor. lights, the spots show.

What are your thoughts on polishing and when to just live with it and move on.

I used to polish another car of mine often, but lately I have begun to think more about removing clear and maybe just living with defects that are too risky to remove.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

imported_Smoker
05-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Difficult without seeing exactly how extensive the damage is.

Hard water residue will prolly come off with something like DACP or even Diamond Cut.

I`ve used both with no hazing or clearcoat damage.

Seems the finer polishes just dont have the `oomph` to remove the limescale properly.

Just my 0.02