PDA

View Full Version : An interesting scenario...

nickis
08-17-2004, 06:16 PM
I`ve got a little story about a detail I did yesterday, and its not really urgent but I would like to hear what other people think of what happened.

The car I did was for a lady my mom works with, it was actually her husbands car but she was paying to have it done for his birthday. They`re a very nice older couple and I`m happy to take care of their cars for them.

Yesterday I was doing the husband`s Mercury Sable. I picked it up from the place where my mom and this woman work and was doing it in my driveway. All went very well, but while I was working on the inside I looked under the passenger side seat and found 3 unopened beers (Coors light, blech!). Strange for a senior citizen`s car, but not a big deal, I set them aside and kept working.

After I got everything all done I was putting a few things back that I had taken out of the car to vacuum around and I remembered the beers. It was obvious to me that no one even knew they were there so rather than put them back where they came from, like you would do with most stuff you find in a car, I put them on the back seat so they would see them (You all thought I would choose the other option! :beer:)

I returned the car to the lady without incident, gave her the keys, got my check, and thought nothing more of it. Today my mom came home and told me that this lady loved how the car turned out but there was an incident involving the beer (I had told my mom about the beer when she asked me how the car went yesterday). Apparently this lady took her car home, saw the beer but forgot to remove it, and went out for a ride later that night, with her husband driving. Someone pulled out in front of them quickly, he had to brake hard, one of the beers rolled off the seat, under the passenger side seat, and somehow got a pinhole rupture. It started to spray but fortunately the woman, who was sitting right there, picked it up and got it mostly on herself.

My mom offered for me to clean up the car but the woman said there was nothing on the carpets. She wasn`t mad either, and apparently she got quite a kick out of it. Now, I told my mom that I would have cleaned up the beer to be nice, but not out of a sense of responsibility. My mom thinks that because I set the beer on the back seat instead of putting it back where I found it, that it would be my responsibility to clean it up, had it gotten on the carpets. Obviously it is a non issue now, but I wanted to know what you guys think. I will admit that the back seat might not have been the best place to put the beer, but I think it was right to move it from under the seat. According to my mom, neither of them knew it was there, so I think I was justified in moving it to where they would find it. Sure, I put them on the back seat where it could roll off, but the woman could have moved them if she saw fit, and it certainly isn`t my fault that a beer rolling onto the floor broke open. If I were a major detail shop I can`t see a customer bringing back her car after beer, that was moved during a detail, ended up causing a mess by total coincidence. That would just be ridiculous. Like I said, I would do it to be a nice person and because I like the lady, but I would not claim that I was responsible for it.

Poll time: what do you all think? Feel free to leave a message with explanation too.

Don
08-17-2004, 06:25 PM
I would have just mentioned to the customer that they were there & where I put them. As for any damage done, it`s entirely on them.

jaybs02
08-17-2004, 06:32 PM
it`s not your fault, it was a series of events.
If anyone is to blame it`s them... they should have killed the sixpack :lmfao:lmfao

DetailGirl
08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Don
I would have just mentioned to the customer that they were there & where I put them. As for any damage done, it`s entirely on them. :yeah

CharlesW
08-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Definitely not your responsibility.
The one thing I might have done differently would have been to put the beer on the drivers seat so the customer had to do something about it. She probably saw it where you put it, but if it had been in the drivers seat, even a woman driver would have noticed it. :D
:flameon:flamed

Charles

RJ SD
08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
A lesson to all. Drink any beer you find laying around to prevent any mishaps!

gnev8
08-17-2004, 07:02 PM
.. they should have killed the sixpack :lmfao:lmfao [/B][/QUOTE]
:yeah

gnev8
08-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by RJ SD
A lesson to all. Drink any beer you find laying around to prevent any mishaps!
:yeah

brwill2004
08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I always put everything I find in a car that the customer might want, including beer, in a plastic bag or a cardboard box. It is not your fault, because the beer did not rupture while you were detailing the car.

clean4u
08-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jaybs95
it`s not your fault, it was a series of events.
If anyone is to blame it`s them... they should have killed the sixpack :lmfao:lmfao Thats Right!!!!!!!!

zesty-man
08-19-2004, 08:21 PM
i would have kept the beer :rolling :rolling. hmmm, not quite sure what i would really do with the beer, maybe they wanted it in their car, and maybe not. not sure about that one. i think you shouldnt feel guility at all for what do did, because it wasnt your fault.