PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Blackfire Application?

tguil
05-29-2003, 05:55 AM
I just received my Blackfire kit from CMA and plan to apply it to my black Dodge 1500 this weekend. I`ll be using a PC dual action polisher. The finish on the truck is in very good shape. I applied Megs DACP and Medallion Premium Paint Protection last weekend. Any suggestions? I want to use the PC for as many steps as possible.

imported_BretFraz
05-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Please do a SEARCH for this info. Blackfire has been talked about a great deal here and there are many tips and tricks posted by other members. Seek them out.

TortoiseAWD
05-29-2003, 09:11 AM
bret,

Take it easy on the newbies, now; that`s why we have Autopia University . . .

tguil, it would help to know what pads you have. If they`re from the CMA kit, I`d suggest a white pad for the BF polish, and grey for the sealant. When it comes to the sealant, apply it thin, thin, thin, and allow ample drying time (as in a couple of hours) to avoid smearing, which seems to be the biggest complaint with BFII.

Good luck,

Tort

Spilchy
05-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Can you apply over the Medallion?? If Medallion is a carnuba, I believe the Black Fire won`t adhere. You can top the Black Fire with a carnuba, just not vice versa I believe.

From what I have gathered, you should use very little product as possible. Since you used DACP already and your surface is nice and prepped, I would do the Black Fire by hand. This way you have more control over the amount you apply. Like Tort said, let it dry, dry, dry before you remove.

However, I`d check first to see if the Black Fire would go on properly over the Medallion.

TortoiseAWD
05-29-2003, 09:59 AM
If the BFII polish is used prior to applying the sealant, I`d wager that the Medallion is long gone. But you`re right, it`s a concern if tguil is going straight to the sealant . . .

Tort

tguil
05-29-2003, 11:56 AM
I plan to use both the BF polish and sealant. How about using the PC and bonnets to remove the dried sealant? Thanks.

Tom

mauritiusblue
05-29-2003, 12:05 PM
I`ve never tried the bonnets with the BF sealant.

I can tell you though, I love the slick feeling of buffing by hand. It gets me all giggly...:D

Accumulator
05-29-2003, 12:22 PM
I`ve tried removal-by-RO using MF bonnets with mixed results. The Viper ones are a little rough, might induce some micro-marring. It might just be marring in the BF, but still...The suede-style ones are better, but you`ll probably still need to go over the car by hand (maybe using some BF QD) too.

Dave N
05-29-2003, 12:43 PM
I just Blackfired my Tacoma last weekend. I used the CMA white pad for the polish application, and the CMA grey pad for the paint protection application. I let it dry for about an hour, and experienced the "oilyness" others have talked about during removal. Using QD with microfiber cloths helped, but it still smeared. I let the smearyness dry overnight, and then QD`d it again, which seemed to get it all off. I put 2 coats on (24 hours apart) and they seemed to both come off the same way (smeary!).

If there is still any smearing on there, I guess that`s OK. It will come off when I wash it. In the mean time, it`s getting the better part of a week to bond.:D

TortoiseAWD
05-29-2003, 01:46 PM
tguil,

I do all removal by hand, and just use the PC for the application phase. While BF does have it`s occasional problems with oiliness, the dried residue wipes off very easily (on both the polish and the sealant).

Tort