PDA

View Full Version : Could a Rotary Buffer Get This Out?

Dave N
05-28-2003, 03:50 PM
I have a paint problem that I noticed about a year after I got my truck. It is on one rear fender only, and looks like a bunch of little white spots in the paint. I think there was a thread a while back where someone had a similar paint problem with a new car...

Here is a picture of the problem:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~dneece/paint.jpg

Here is a BIG picture (http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~dneece/paintbig.jpg) of the same problem. Most of what you can see in the picture is the paint defect, but there is some dust as well. There are a couple of spots where it looks like a liquid ran down the fender, and there are no spots there. You can see this in the picture as well.

Would a rotary get this out? I`ve used a PC with Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner a few times on it without much success.

BradE
05-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Dave,

It`s possible, it`s going to depend on what caused the marks. If it`s something acid based (or any other caustic chemical for that matter) chances are it might not. The chemical seeps into the film build and gets in there deep, total removal would literally require removal of all the clear. Some types of chemicals or agents won`t "activate" and cause damage until exposed to heat and water, which is pretty easily done on a daily driver.

Without knowing what substance actually caused the marks it`s pretty much a crapshoot. But there is some good news, it can`t hurt to try removing it with a rotary. If it removes it then great, if not, well at least you tried. :)

Dave N
05-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Showroom, I`m thinking that these marks were there from the factory. My truck has a lot of other factory defects in the paint, such as marks that look like water spots under the clear. I can`t feel the marks in the picture, so maybe they`re underneath the clearcoat as well.

I guess I need to find someone around here with a rotary.

SamIam
05-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Can`t you take it back to Ford and see what the Regional Customer Rep can do about it?

Sam

BradE
05-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SamIam

Can`t you take it back to Ford and see what the Regional Customer Rep can do about it?

Sam

I don`t think Ford would care too much considering the fact his truck is my by Toyota. ;)

imported_jgv
05-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dave N

Showroom, I`m thinking that these marks were there from the factory. My truck has a lot of other factory defects in the paint, such as marks that look like water spots under the clear. I can`t feel the marks in the picture, so maybe they`re underneath the clearcoat as well.

I guess I need to find someone around here with a rotary.

The rotary alone wont do much for it. If you want to try to fix that you must go through the wet sand/rotary way.

BradE
05-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jgv

The rotary alone wont do much for it. If you want to try to fix that you must go through the wet sand/rotary way.

If the marks are truly under the clear nothing will help, it needs to be refinished. If the marks are in the clear, the rotay alone CAN help. A series of cutting passes followed with several polishing steps can do wonders, I know, I`ve done it. Depending on how deep they are it might not totally remove them, but it will make it look much better.

Wet sanding isn`t option #1 for a daily driver, it removes too much clear. The UV inhibitors settle in the top .3 of a mil of clear, if that is removed your paint is gonna be toast real soon. To wet sand correctly the paint needs to be measured after each pass with an eletronic paint thickness gauge to see exactally how much material is being removed. There is no margin for error with wetsanding. So, since you can only remove .3 mil of clear and be safe, the rotary is the better option.

imported_jgv
05-28-2003, 06:07 PM
The daily driver wouldn`t try to fix that, and I wouldn`t recommend him to, even with a rotary. In fact, the rotary can help but also can remove a lot of CC to remove that. It`d be much easier flattening it and then proceed with the rotary. Of course, this isn`t for the daily driver.

jerry@robs
05-29-2003, 05:34 AM
hold on... it could simply be a drip from a cleaner like APC+ or a degreaser... it`s pretty common... try some mineral spirits first...

imported_edschwab1
05-29-2003, 04:55 PM
How about try AutoInt`s ABC wash system.

or

Maybe kicking your PC up 7. ;) That should do the trick.

Eric

imported_FUEL
05-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

I don`t think Ford would care too much considering the fact his truck is my by Toyota. ;)

LOL!! You beat me to it!

imported_Intel486
05-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

They`d help him out. They`d tell him, "Sir, why don`t you come over here and take a look at a real truck."

:D

BradE
05-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

They`d help him out. They`d tell him, "Sir, why don`t you come over here and take a look at a real truck."

Ouch!! :LOLOL

Tim Lingor
05-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

:rofl Toyota makes "trucks"? :D

Dave N
05-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Ok guys, not only do you hi-jack my thread, but then you start talking trash boot.:nono

Oh well, I guess that`s just the jealousy that the supercharged:cool: Tacoma inspires...

How about try AutoInt`s ABC wash system.

or

Maybe kicking your PC up 7. That should do the trick.

Hey, it sounds like somebody remembers my old avatar or an old post of mine! I post so infrequently, I`m surprised.

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~dneece/pc7.jpg

I have used the ABC system on the truck since I`ve noticed the paint defect. In fact, I was almost wondering if that could have caused it, but the damage is confined to the one fender. If you get "B" on concrete and don`t rinse it off right away it will eat small holes in the cement:eek: There is a rough spot on my driveway that`s been there since last summer where the "B" ate into it. That`s when I stopped using the ABC system -- I`m just too scared to use that stuff on my paint now!