PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s #7, by Mike Phillips

Pages : [1] 2

Bobby G
05-27-2003, 10:39 PM
As someone else pointed out, #7 is a high oil content product. In fact, it`s mostly oil. I could tell you more about it, I have over 7 pages on just this product alone in my forthcoming book, How to Polish Paint. it`s really quite a unique product.

For the last 15 years I have seen a lot people comment as to how hard the product is to get off.

Usually, (and I`m not saying this is what your did), the person makes a couple of mistakes.

#7 is a non-drying oil.

One of the many things it can be used for is to make paint look wet, thus the name… Show Car Glaze.

The reason it can do this is because it is a non-drying oil. Think about it, when you get a brand new paint job, or if you spray some rattle can paint… before it dries… it looks wet, because it is. It hasn`t dried.

It`s hard to get the "Wet Look" with something they dries, especially if it turns white/opaque.

You cannot make something "more clear" with something that is "opaque".

#26 Yellow Wax, (which is a polymer/synthetic for the most part), dries clear, it does not turn white. It turns the surface very dark and deep however.

So the mistake most people make when using the #7 is this.

1. They apply it to thick - this makes it extremely hard to remove

2. They try to remove it like a wax.

Two tips.

First Tip - Apply #7 with a thin coat

Anybody`s product when applied thick is hard to remove, just read the Zaino threads. Same thing applies to most of the Meguiar`s waxes. A thick coat does nothing but waste product anyway, think about it. you wipe the excess off, i.e. the stuff sitting on top.

The idea is to "Push" the product into the pores of the paint, allow it to cure or dry, (if it`s a drying product) then wipe off the material remaining on the surface. Sure some product remains on the surface, and there are a lot of opinions concerning "Layering", but suffice to say, there is a point of "Diminishing Returns".

If it were true you could create a "film-build" of product, that would mean that after enough coats, you would no longer be applying a coat of product onto paint, but in fact would be applying a coat of product onto a "film-build of product", (In other words, your layers of wax/polish/protectant/polymer/sealant/synthetic, or whatever word/term you want to use to describe your protective coating.

Kind of like trying to re-create a "Clear Coat". Last time I checked, nobody`s product is clear, at least not like the clear resin a clear coat of paint is made from, (clear resin is often slightly amber in color)

So I don`t know if I subscribe to the "Layering" theory. I am experimenting however, with multiple coats after coat of product on my black demo panel here in my office, so far, no "visible film-build". I do believe that two thin coats are better than one, and three coats wont` hurt. After that, I don`t know. I would at least let some time go by.

So apply #7 thin. Use a soft foam applicator pad.

Second Tip - Removing #7 requires a special technique, not the same kind of technique you remove a wax with.

Most people remove their wax like this. Start in one area, begin wiping until all of the wax is removed in that area and then move on to virgin territory.

This will not work for #7. The "Act" of removing #7, tends to "Re-liquefy" the product, basically creating the smearing around effect that you experience when you apply it.

Instead, "Break" or "Disrupt" the "Continuous" layer of film-build and then move on to a virgin area and "Break this film-build up.

You see, #7 doesn`t actually dry, but… it will "Skin", somewhat like homemade pudding.

This "Skin" is easier to break up and remove then the more liquid film is.

By breaking up the continuos film-build and then moving on, you are exposing a fresh layer of the film to the air where it will skin. The next time you come around, it will be easier to break up and remove.

So the idea is to apply a thin coat to the entire car.

Then, Go around the car two to three times, removing a little bit at a time.

A big soft, high quality, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel works best for the first two passes, and then switch over to a Microfiber polishing cloth for the last pass. Microfiber polishing cloths have an affinity for both water and oil based liquids and will remove oily residues much better with less fiber inflicted scratches.

Anyway, that’s what my experience has taught me after applying and removing gallons of #7 over the years, to every kind of car with every known type of paint.

Another person mentioned it will wash off. This is true. #7 is a "Body Shop" safe polish. It has no "Lasting Characteristics", i.e. it contains no ingredients that will affect "Paint Adhesion", typically waxes or silicones. (There are what are called, "Paintable Polymers", Meguiar`s uses these in the "Speed Glaze", a body shop safe, cleaner/polish).

#7 is not meant to last. The idea is it will not semi-permanently "seal" or "Cap" the pores of the paint. (waxes, sealants, synthetics, polymers, whatever you prefer to call them act to semi-permanently seal or cap the pores of the paint. Nothing is permanent, at least not according to the theory of Entropy. This can lead into an entire discussion of "Permeable and Impermeable, but I digress).

This is important when used on solvent-borne paints because it allows the solvents to continue to work their way out of the paint resin through "capillary-action", (I think). The idea being that paint that is fully cured will be harder and last longer than paint that is not fully cured, i.e. softer and will not last as long.

How important this is to Catalyzed paints I do not know. The Synthetic wax crowd usually tells everyone it is safe to wax catalyzed paint shortly after they are sprayed. While this may be safe, I know that paint manufactures "Still" recommend waiting 30/60/90 days before you apply any type of "Sealant", i.e. wax to the surface. Best to follow manufactures recommendations when dealing with something as expensive a s new paint job, not to mention all of the work and inconvenience getting a car painted causes.

#7, in my opinion works better on single-stage finishes, either modern or traditional. For the wet-look, either Deep Crystal Polish, (very much like #7 but in Meguiar`s Consumer line), is easier to apply and remove or #80 Hand Polish in the Meguiar`s 80`s series, (Body shop products, only comes in a quart).

I`m sorry you had a hard time applying and removing the product, perhaps if you try again, following my tips you will have better results.

By the way, as someone else commented, usually, #7 is applied first, then wax is applied over it. This is because the #7 is water soluble and the wax isn`t`, thus the wax will act to "Lock" or "Seal" in the #7.

However… right before a show… to make the paint look wet and to fill in hairline scratches, it is perfectly aright to apply the #7 on top of the wax, thus the name… Show Car Glaze.

It was never formulated to be a lasting product, but instead a Beauty product.

Now I know the Zaino crowd, including Sal, don`t like using "oily" product on their paint for a host of reasons, I understand this fully and also agree they have a point.

With that said… if your goal is to make the paint it`s darkest, deepest and wettest looking, then I submit your best bet is a product that is oily and doesn`t dry. Yes, it might be temporary, but the show only last one to two days sometimes three.

The name is Show Car Glaze, not water beading, long lasting durable Miracle Wax.

You also might give the #26 a try for a dark, deep finish like you black corvette.

No it doesn`t bead water as long as Zaino and many other waxes, the #26, Gold Class and even the Medallion were never formulated to "Bead Water".

If you want to see a wax that will bead water… try the Meguiar`s Cleaner/Wax in the Maroon bottle, make sure it says "New and Improved on the label.

Our chemist reformulated it to "Bead Water Like Crazy" because of consumer demand. Only costs $5.00 a bottle and works great for most people.

I`m sure they could do this for are other products but the idea, I think, was to make a wax that didn`t bead water to avoid deep chemical etching that is caused when these tall beads dry on the finish.

Of course this doesn`t matter to hard-core enthusiasts that dry their cars after washing.

That`s all … hope this helps,

Mike Phillips

johnson
05-27-2003, 10:41 PM
I knew it was a keeper when I found it a few months ago on anothe forum :xyxthumbs. I have the original webpage saved in a .mht file. :D

Spilchy
06-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Does this method apply as well for Body Shop Professional Hand Polish?

Are they the "same" product? What`s the difference? Similar results? Is the Body Shop Professional Hand Polish easier to use?

smdetail
08-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Despite following Mike`s instruction on applying #7 thin and removing residual bit by bit, i`m still having problem in removing #7. It stick to the car strongly and it`s darn hard to remove completely. I am disappointed with #7. It is a very good product that produce great result but just too hard to remove.

I think i`m going to give up #7 and try something else that`s not so difficult to remove (maybe #81 hand polish).

everner
08-11-2003, 08:14 AM
"#7, in my opinion works better on single-stage finishes, either modern or traditional" If your paint is a two stage(base coat/clear coat) maybe that`s what`s going on. I tried the hand polish(M-8132) and it is easier to use than #7. I did what the instructions said:SMALL amount, rub in THOROUGHLY. It works!

sparklescarwash
02-05-2010, 05:54 PM
take meguiars number 7 and 26 yellow wax mix 50/50 works great

BobD
02-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Super old post reborn! ;)

craigdt
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh, cmon. Its only 6 1/2 years old...

I have mostly abandoned Megs 7. VM and DWG are now my glazes of choice.

Dont want to blasphemy an old stand by, but I think there are much easier products

to work with at this point.

Accumulator
02-06-2010, 02:04 PM
... VM and DWG are now my glazes of choice..

What`re you gonna use in place of DWG now?

paulxk8
09-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks for this advice, it was very helpful. I detailed my car today using Mcguires products, the process I followed was:

- Used scratch X2 on affected areas

- then polished the car

- then glazed the car with #7 Showcar glaze

- then waxed the car with NXT Tech Wax 2

The finish looked brilliant but is this the correct way to use the products, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

jfelbab
09-03-2011, 07:03 AM
My rumblings on #7 and glazes in general...

Tip 1: If you wind up with some areas where the #7 is hard to remove, reapply some more over that patch then remove it. This will re-liquify the #7 and make it easier to remove those stubborn thicker patches.

Tip 2: I don`t apply glaze to the whole car then remove. I do a panel at a time. I apply thinly and then immediately wipe it up, with cotton toweling and buff. Seems easier to me, YMMV. I do use several white cotton towels though. One to cut the film and a couple more to buff.

I`ve not found any glaze that looks as wet on darker colors, whether SS or CC as #7. This product really hides minor paint marring and slight scratches. You know just how obvious slight scratches look on a black clear coated paint. That`s because the edges of the scratch are reflecting and refracting light at all angles making the scratch look white and so obvious to judges. Enter #7 and the scratch is filled with oil and is mostly hidden. If your paint is perfect you are fortunate and a glaze won`t likely do too much to improve its appearance, but if your show car is older, I`d bet your paint is not so perfect that a good glaze won`t improve it`s appearance.

I`ve used #7 for years and used to top my show car with it before judging. My only issue with #7 was at outdoor shows where the oil would tend to hold onto dust more that I liked.

I have used all of Meg`s glazes #3, #5, #7, #80, #81 and a few from other vendors. My favorite remains #7 followed by RMG and #81 in that order.

I`d also wonder just how many here have over-polished their paint in that quest for perfect paint. I wound up polishing the paint past the limit and had to respray the car at over $5k. For me, hiding minor swirling is a better choice than permanently removing paint every couple months. You can always reglaze but sooner or later your show car will run out of paint to polish. Paint doesn`t have to be perfect to look perfect.

Blackthornone
09-04-2011, 08:14 AM
#7 is a great rejuvanator for single stage paint. If the paint is really old and dry, it might take 10 applications or more per panel in order to have enough soak in. I agree that working a panel at a time is best. Work a small area at a time, and try to keep it thin. I have been applying a coat and letting it soak in overnight, and then repeat.

Greg Nichols
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
While #7 might be a great glaze, there are many other far easier and equally as impressive. Danase Wet glaze, Wet glaze 2.0, work much better and last longer, require less effort to apply.

Cheers,

GREG

Blackthornone
09-12-2011, 02:30 PM
While #7 might be a great glaze, there are many other far easier and equally as impressive. Danase Wet glaze, Wet glaze 2.0, work much better and last longer, require less effort to apply.

Cheers,

GREG

Will it deepen the color of faded single stage paint? #7 does.

Greg Nichols
09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Will it deepen the color of faded single stage paint? #7 does.

If you polish the paint properly you won`t need to "feed" the paint full of oils. I`ve tried #7 in head to head challenges over the past 2 yrs with other glazes and cannot tell which panel is which product (single blind test). If your goal is to temp fix the true issue #7 is a good start.........seen it used on many auction cars to hide and temp enhance.

Cheers,

GREG