PDA

View Full Version : Coin operated carwash?

Pages : [1] 2

tguil
05-27-2003, 10:18 PM
There are times that I have to resort to using a coin operated car wash rather than doing a careful handwash at home. No matter how much time I spend soaking my truck with the high pressure wash and rinse, there is always residue left on the truck. Any suggestions on how dry my truck without having this residue scratch the finish? Are the sealants that are mentioned so often on this forum less susceptible to scratching than carnauba wax?

Jngrbrdman
05-27-2003, 10:24 PM
No matter what you have on your car its going to get scratched if you try and dry it with dirt on the surface still. The thing that one of these sealants may help with is in keeping the surface so slick that the dirt washes off easier. A good carnauba like S100/P21S will rinse nearly clean in just a rain storm so imagine how well it works in a high pressure spray. The sealants and waxes will scratch just as easily as a clear coat though. Proabably easier. If you can`t get your car clean at one of those high pressure washes then you shouldn`t try drying it.

Nikon
05-27-2003, 11:17 PM
I found the same thing. I go to a timed wash bay where I can soak the car with the pressure washer to remove the majority of the dirt. I then put some Mequiar`s #62 car wash shampoo in a bucket and fill it with water using the pressure hose. This makes for a very foamy mixture which I use to gently wash the car with a good wash mit (I always cut the tags and cuffs off of wash mits to prevent them from scratching the finish). I then use the pressure hose to rinse.

This way the finish is perfectly clean. If you find your drying towel is gets dirty then scratches are being introduced to the finish.

Jngrbrdman
05-27-2003, 11:19 PM
I think the point of his going to the coin op is because he doesn`t have the time to do a bucket wash. Coin ops that let you bucket wash are a rarity anyway. :(

Nikon
05-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Good point.

Living where I do my car gets loaded up with more dirt than I feel comfortable hand washing off so that`s why I use the metered (pay by the minute) car wash places to get the big stuff off before touching the finish with anything.

I can usually get the pressure wash and hand wash done in about 20 minutes if I`m in a hurry.

Your advice about not drying after using a pressure washer is bang on when you don`t have the time.

Sorry I was off topic.

:o

GoodnClean
05-28-2003, 01:25 AM
I have two great ones right by me guys, they allow bucket washing only when no one else is waiting. They`re open 24 hours and VERY brightly lit with discharge lights so you can really see what you`re doing. I just go around 9:00 at night and I`m the only one there. Plus they have a spot free rinse setting...

Its great, pull up, vacuum and clean the interior, all in daylight like dischage lighting, wash it in the bay, again, daylight like, and dry and quick detail outside.

Deep_Freeze
05-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Hmmmm, this is a topic I deal with often. Whether to use the coin-op or not. Really, for most younger people, a coin-op is the only option. The other day, I was washing my wheels with a wheel brush, and accidently put my hand under the high pressure water stream. :shocked That really, really hurt.

Then, I looked at my car and wondered, "I bet if it could talk, it would be screaming like I did with that high pressure stream." LOL

Guess I will make an effort to clean more at home now, I do worry about the dirt that usually remains after washing the car at a coinop. Really, no matter how much you spray the car, dirt will remain on it. The towel you use picks up the remaining dirt, which can cause scratches, of course.

But here is the problem, what if you are in a place where you can`t wash at home, what then. Coinops where I live don`t allow bucket washing, and usually you have that person behind you hurrying you up to get out of there. Now, I would rather my wax get scratched, than my clearcoat, that is for sure. I have several coats of wax on my car now, and hopefully that helps.

Don`t see a solution to this problem, except maybe using a QD during the dryoff at a coinop, but most QDs want a dry surface, and by then it is too late for this role. Not to mention you don`t want QD all over your drying towel.

Taxlady
05-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Do a search for Protect All (ProtectAll?) Quick & Easy, and for Poorboy`s Spray & Wash. Both of these products will allow you to clean your car with very little water. I haven`t had a chance to try either one yet, but people on this board who have tried them, realllly like them.

I would go to the pressure wash and do the best I could. Drive home without drying the car. Use one of those products, even with the car parked on the street if need be.

Myles
05-28-2003, 05:05 AM
Well living in Melbourne, we are in drought and have water restrictions. I cant wash my car in the driveway due to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) anyway.

So i go to the Coin Op.

$1 for 2 minutes, i can rinse the car very well in that time. I go 8pm 9pm on a Friday or 4pm on a Sunday. Thats when no one is there and there are 5 bays and a carpark. So i usually wash quickly and carefully, just incase anyone comes along so i can drive out and dry.

No yes a high pressure wash will sting you close up, we can thank our nerves for that. But dont use them close on the paint only under the wheel arches. If you put you hand in it (high pressure stream) around 1 metre, it is very soft. You shouldnt be using them close to paint. Let the wash mitt do the work of course.

I never use any of the coin op`s products, only use my own.

I can get a really good clean with the coin op, for i can get the highpressure under the car to get the gunk off.

Only problem is drying is a pain, for there is so much water afterwards.

drrac2
05-28-2003, 08:28 AM
My concern would be the water that is used at those coin op washes. Apparently do to EPA regulations these washes use a recycling system that re-uses the water. I dont know how well these systems filter that water. When I have used these washes in the past I ended up with swirl city and a rough finish, even after a careful bucket wash. I surmise that the water had something to do with removing the wax, and ultimately the poor results.

Just my 2 cents....

Deep_Freeze
05-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I have always wondered if the soap that they use at these coinops will strip wax. Sometimes, I just don`t know. I think that they have gotten better, but don`t really know for sure if they don`t remove a little wax.

Alot of places don`t allow bucket washing, so you have to use the coinop to soap off. Guess the search for one that does is part of the battle. I have washed my car twice so far with the full coinop soap and rinse. Didn`t really like the results at all, especially on my black car.

Jake11375
05-28-2003, 03:03 PM
The only time I`ve been able to get my car fully clean and ready for safe drying is if I put about 8 bucks into the machine. I guess the water and soap finally breakdown the film of dirt. That gets real expensive though. I`ve also tried spraying with one hand and following with a wash mit simultaneously. This is awkward but gets the job done. Just spray the car, then the wash mit, wipe the panel down, and then go back over it with the spray wand. Just as effective as a bucket wash. They say no buckets, so I don`t use a bucket.:D

Jake11375
05-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Anyone ever experience the high pressure wash rippling panels. I`ve heard about this before and just wondering if its just a myth. I just thought if you keep your wand at a safe distance on broad panels it should be okay. Any thoughts?

xpguy
05-28-2003, 04:17 PM
I`m planning to drive cross country in August from California to New York. I was hoping to bring my 2 buckets and wash my car at a coin op but I didn`t know about the "no bucket" rule. The trip is estimated at 14 to 16 days because we are stopping to sightsee along the way.

I was hoping to wash my car at least once in the middle of the trip and at most twice. Mostly to get the bugs off the front. With the fear of automatic car washes, coin ops, and a quick car wash for $25. What options do I have?

I also thought about just leaving the bugs on and not washing the car til I got to my destination. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chris0626
05-28-2003, 04:28 PM
xpguy: Run -- do not walk -- to Poorboy`s World (http://www.poorboysworld.com/) and buy some Spray and Wipe! :up