PDA

View Full Version : Do you try to help people and they don`t listen?

imported_kgb
05-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Ok, first story:

I told my buddy who has a 2002 black Civic, all show, not to use a shop rag to dry his car off cause it will leave scratches. Then I tell him to get a MF towel to use with the quick detailer he has. So I pull up to his house the other day and what do I see? Him using a MF towel. Then upon further inspection I see he is using the MF towel to smear dirt around his paint! He ha dirt all over it and just took the MF and wiped it off!! WTF!?!?!?

Another friend of mine asked me for help detailing his car for a show this weekend. I told him what to buy to do an easy quick job to make it look good in the show. I gave him a few options. What does he do?? He buys the stuff I told him not to get! WTF again!?!?!?

Do people ask you for help then just do what they want anyways? It makes me mad cause it is a waste of my time to even try and help.

Sorry, just venting

imported_Larry A
05-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Most people will NOT do what Autopians do even family wont do it if you buy all the stuff and do all the work you would be lucky if they said thanks

Poorboy
05-27-2003, 08:52 AM
I guess you`re not married:LOLOL

MBZ 500E
05-27-2003, 11:01 AM
A few of my friends will ask how I get my paint looking the way it does and which products I use. Some will say it out of admiration and others are sincerely interested in getting their paint to look the same.

Those interested will ask what types of products I use and how to use them. A couple of my friends have SEPC and S100 and love it.

This makes total sense if you ask me, I`ve already spent a great deal of time and $$ figuring out what works and they take advantage of the knowledge. On the other hand they have better knowledge on maintaining the engine and mechanicals of the car and they help me out when I need it.:)

JustinR32
05-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Here`s what I`m doing to help.

I organized a detailing day & cookout for my Miata club; we are calling it the "Shine & Dine". I posted a list of recommended products on our forum; I chose to recommend the Meguiar`s 3-step because it`s cheap, commonly available, looks good, and is a good place for beginners to start. I also recommended chenille wash mitts, Meg`s car wash, and microfiber towels, total outlay should be $30 to $35, and should last about 3 years on a little car like a Miata. Also, if some people don`t want to lay out the $$, or can`t, I`ll bring some product.

Here`s where it gets different: I show how to do it, then step back and they do it themselves. So, rather than shining a bunch of cars, I`m teaching interested owners how to clean their own cars.

Shine & Dine is set for June 22nd, in Allentown PA. If anyone wants to come by and help, check out the link (http://www.lvmoc.net/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1085) .

Mosca

58fury
05-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by lawrencea

Most people will NOT do what Autopians do even family wont do it if you buy all the stuff and do all the work you would be lucky if they said thanks oh how true that is, i try and help out some friends but mostly its a lost cause:rolleyes: may there nice cars rest in piece, lol:D i did however get 2 of em to buy some S100;)

johnson
05-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Yep, these were both FREE details that took me ~3 hours each. The Pilot took me 7, because I would do one panel, then wait for a cloud to block the sunshine, then do another panel. It was pretty sunny that day.

Before

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3390lincoln_ls_before.jpg

Few hours later

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3390lincoln_front.jpg

1 week later

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3390lincoln_ls_before.jpg

I gave him my #00 Hi Tech Wash, S100 SEC, S100 Carnuaba, and a bottle of Meguiars #34 too! I told to wash regularly and re-apply every month.

---------------------------------------

Dont have the original uploaded...

Few hours later

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3390honda_pilot_front.jpg

One week later its back in the same state as before.

Accumulator
05-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Mosca- That sounds like a good aproach :xyxthumbs Of course, your audience is already predisposed towards liking their vehicles more than the average person :D

FNG- Funny, I had the EXACT same experience with a LS driver. He`s on his own for the rest of this lifetime.

I`ve learned about doing other people`s cars. The original owner of my Volvo actually chewed me out for waxing it for her ("the salesman told me that Volvo`s special paint NEVER needs waxing and that wax is bad! And he was an EXPERT!"). OK, fine, sorry to upset you. I just ignored it for the rest of her life.

General observation/vent/rant on this topic: As many of you know from other threads, I tend to take A LOT of things, uhm, rather seriously. I guess I might be getting a bit cynical, but, most of the time, when someone (NO, NOT people on this board!!) asks "how do I get my [whatever] to [whatever] like that?" I often knee-jerk and think something like "it`ll take more than you`re willing to give". I`m honestly :( that I`m saying this, but it`s true. For the record, Accumulatorette understands that "it don`t come easy" and IS willing to put in effort as required :D . Ah, the joy of shared values! Something to consider when choosing that partner.

Scott P
05-27-2003, 02:33 PM
I think the main problem lies in the cost of what we are used to using. As mentioned before in this thread, once people start to hear what’s involved in time and materials, they start to lose interest. I find that once I list off my products ($50-$100 initial investment) and then toss in the PC ($150 easy), they start to wonder if the difference in finish is really worth an investment of more that that $5.00 bottle of Mother’s Cleaner Wax. (An example, not a product bash)

Plus, most of our products of choice aren’t easy to come by. Tell someone that they need to shop at a couple of different online vendors and you continue to lose their interest. Tell them that they need to get some stuff at CMA, some at Autopia, towels from Pak Shak and then visit a body shop supply place for DACP and Lowe’s for a PC and you are watching them float away.

For people that like to stay local, I usually recommend that they get a Three-Step system from Mother’s or Meguiars. I point them to Viking Foam apps and MF towels from Wally World. It comes down to baby steps. If you can get someone from a one step to a three step, then they may be on the way to the next level of getting better products.

For those people who don’t have the time for even a three step? I offer my services for a fee and have them get some good car wash soap and possibly some QD. If they pass on that offer, the I point them to Mother’s Cleaner Wax and towels and let them go. There is no further effort needed.