PDA

View Full Version : Im soooooooo nervous/exited about this future detail!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

zesty-man
08-17-2004, 12:43 AM
today was the first day of JV pratices, and our team is looking really great. however, thats not the big news. the big news was that we had a new assistant coach named Don Deuce (bigglio male jiggilo). anyways, after pratice was over, i was talking to him, and he was asking me if i took lessons, and i said yes, and he said that he could tell :). so the conversation goes on, and we get into cars. i told him that the car over there was my car, and that it was horrible because it was 20 years old, and had clearcoat failure, and dead paint on the roof. he said "comeon, thats not too bad" , and i proceeded by saying, "oh yes, for a guy that details cars, thats fun"

so anyways, now this catches his interest. he started asking about some stuff like clay, and all of this other stuff, and i pretty much had an answer to every one of his questions (PROPS TO DC:headbang :rockin :dcrules ). so anyways i guess he was convinced that i knew what i was doing, so he said that i should detail his car as soon as it gets out of the body shop, and he`ll pay me for it. so anyways, my friend was on the side, and he heard everything, so he asks what kinda car that guy had. the guy said "NXS". at this point, my friend and i both choked, and we were both thinking, holy sh!t. so i had to ask the guy again, an ACURA NSX?????????????? and he said yea. then he added that he wanted it clayed, polished, and waxed. but the wax had to be done by hand. i made sure to ask him, sealent, or canuba, and said canuba. i told him that i have tons of pure canubas, and he told me he wanted the best. i told him that there really is no "best", but i do have my favorties, and he told me to use my favorite :). yea, and he said that he only wanted exterior, interior didnt really matter.

HE OWNS A BLACK ACURA NSX, AND HE WANTS ME TO DETAIL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:band :wait :hungry :hungry. im sooooooo stoked, and so nervous about doing this. its no BMW/Jag/Benz, but then again, its no civic/corolla/camry either. in fact, i bet this NSX costs more than 4 corollas combined. i cant even start to imagine what im gonna use on this. i think im gonna go with the prep i used with my dad`s black el camino. now comes the part i have to worry about........ i think im gonna wash all my pads, and get all new applicators, and wash my mfs, and rinse 2-3 times at least. maybe ill get some new clay, and anything else that i need.

im gonna go the extra mile on this one for sure. time to bust out the 500W light. it was funny, becuase i just thought of this. im gonna have to ask my dad to drive it in and out of the garage, because i cant drive standard:boohoo :boohoo :flamed :owned :doh. then again, maybe i could learn how to drive standard for the first time on a NSX :lmfao

PakShak
08-17-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi zesty-man,

That`s great! I see your stepping up your customer base. Make sure you take a lot of pics.

Take your time and have fun with it. :) Drive it around the block. Just keep it in 1st all the way. :lmfao

With Aloha,
Ranney :)

The Chee
08-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Just came out of the body shop? paint job?

zesty-man
08-17-2004, 03:11 AM
not sure whats going on at hte body shop rite now, but ill be sure to ask him the next time i get to see him. also, ill probably ask him the year, and what products hes been using

jaybs02
08-17-2004, 05:01 AM
:cool car...take lots of pics
I can`t think of a better car to learn how to drive a stick....
Someone elses :lmfao:lmfao

"J"

Big Leegr
08-17-2004, 08:41 AM
If it`s just been painted, you have to give it cure time. If he wants something on it, you could go with a glaze like Mother`s Sealer and Glaze. I might "protect" the paint for a week. If you put wax or sealant on fresh paint, there could be issues down the road.

Just some cautionary words.

Woob
08-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Mother`s Sealer + Glaze actually okay to put onto the paint? Isn`t it a sealant? Glaze I understand. Man I`m learning to try the Mother`s system again :D

Learning on a client`s car :nono How about play with it :lol The best way to learn is get a loaner or rent a crap car and beat the crap out of it then you can move onto the good cars :)

Big Leegr
08-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Yep. The Mother`s S&G is new paint safe. I don`t really know why they call it a sealer and glaze. It`s more like a light polish and glaze. Anyway, from what I`ve read from Forrest, Craig, as well as others who work with new paint, the S&G is ok for fresh paint, but it doesn`t have great longevity by itself. That`s why they recommend applying the wax after (on a regular, fully cured paint job). The folks at Mother`s have actually said that the wax may lessen the gloss of the S&G, so they don`t wax their garaged showcars (don`t need the protection). This gives them a better shine.

As yet another side note (sorry for the thread jack, I think this may be my first! But Zesty can use this for future reference, so it may be relevant/all good!) you can apply the S&G over a coat of wax (not sure about sealants), and then apply another coat of wax, so you don`t need to polish off previous layers to get a better gloss. This is also noteworthy if you`re going to show off your daily driver at a cruise night or something. You can apply the S&G over your protective coat of wax to give the paint a better look for the night!

Just some thoughts to share.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled broadcast. :)

Woob
08-17-2004, 10:11 AM
so Big Leegr, S&G renews waxes + sets a new base for other waxes? More and more uses! I have some very old versions, but I`m sure they will work fine with a PC

gnev8
08-17-2004, 10:16 AM
I had just finished reading Zesty`s story and a customer in my Cafe said " I just bought a black Audi on ebay"
I said "oh really" ;) I have a black car and I recently learned alot about detailing it :D
And he said " well, I`ll be talkin to you about that when I get it "
Thanks DC
I guess this is the day for new contacts, huh Zesty?

91LSMAN
08-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Should be a fun detail Zesty!! Post pics when done!!

CharlesW
08-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by zesty-man
it was funny, becuase i just thought of this. im gonna have to ask my dad to drive it in and out of the garage, because i cant drive standard:boohoo :boohoo :flamed :owned :doh. Hey Zesty, if your dad is too busy, maybe I could help with driving the NSX. :)

Charles

zesty-man
08-17-2004, 08:56 PM
hehehehehe............ yea, im gonna make srue that he isnt gettin it repainted, because i know you have to wait a while before doing anything to it. fun to get a new contact :).

anyone have any tips of detailing the NSX, besides not driving it? my dad says that a transmittion thing costs over 1000 bucks for a NSX........

91LSMAN
08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by zesty-man
...anyone have any tips of detailing the NSX, besides not driving it?...

Yes, keep an extra clean Micro-Fiber cloth handy to wipe the drool off the paint as you detail. :)

zesty-man
08-19-2004, 12:08 AM
ah, ok, heres an update, i talked to the coach today. i must have not heard him correctly, because he said that in fact, the car was NOT in a body shop, i guess it was just in a regular ole shop. he said that he was getting the air conditioner redone, changing the computer in the engine, and getting something else done to it. nothing to do with the paint, so i dont have to worry about that. he was telling me that after he changed the exhaust, he could go about 170 mph :wow. i said that he needs to take my for a ride after i detail it. just magine, i dont think my car can do half of 170 :owned

i also asked him what products hes used on it, and he said nothing. so i figure, it may be a bit neglected. he also added that he has bumps even after he washes it, so i guess it needs a clay big time. im thinking that maybe ill have to go with some ssr 2.5, but im stilling deciding if i should go with a cutting pad, or polsihing pad. if i do go with a polishing pad, i guess that means i gotta go visit ranney again :wait :wait :wait.