PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong? Flames welcome!

thehaggis
05-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Okay after many months of skirting the edges of discussions and absorbing the info offered by this wonderful font of car care. I decided to take the plunge, spent lots of money and decided to test my info and skillz(or lack of) on my Black Jettas Hood/Bonnet.

Steps I used:

1. Dawn wash

2. Mothers Clay Bar (using Mothers QD)

3. Dawn wash

4. 3m smr for dark cars(pc with 7006 pad)(spd ?)

5. AIO (pc with damp 8006)(spd ?)

6. SG (by hand)

7. s100 (pc with 9006)(spd ?)

All was going well until step 7. Now I have cloudiness and smearing...what did I do wrong, how do I fix it and, how do I avoid it next time.

ps anyone know the separate speeds for the pc for each step..

imported_Solution Finish
05-26-2003, 04:01 PM
It seems that with the ease of applying and taking off the s100 most do it by hand. How long did you let the SG cure before applying the s100? Curing time 24 hr. and temp/humidity will play a role in hazing.

imported_BretFraz
05-26-2003, 04:03 PM
So everything was going along perfectly until the S100? Usually carnuaba smearing is caused by too much product used or moisture/humidity. The Porsche 928GT I detailed last week had the same problem when I went to apply Souveran by hand. Rain was coming and I think the humidity caused the wax to cloud. Even distilled water didn`t flash cure the wax. Give it a day or two and see how it looks. Spray a little water on a panel to see if the clouding goes away.

Re: PC speeds, with polishes I start at 3-4, work the product in, and crank it to 6 to finish off the panel. With AIO and waxes I think a consistent speed is fine as you want even coverage so keep it at 3-4 or so. Experiment a little to see what works for you. I detailed a car with Gold Class the other day and just kept the PC at 4. More or less speed didn`t make a diff.

thehaggis
05-26-2003, 04:46 PM
S@#t! Curing time..i knew i forgot something...I applied it and let it sit for about 20 mins then polished it off...then applied the s100...stooopid, stoopid haggis...live and learn..

thanks for the replies.

ps: curing time...does that pertain to the product after applying it or after removing it.

Accumulator
05-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by thehaggis

S@#t! Curing time..i knew i forgot something...I applied it and let it sit for about 20 mins then polished it off...then applied the s100...stooopid, stoopid haggis...live and learn..

thanks for the replies.

ps: curing time...does that pertain to the product after applying it or after removing it.

Nah, not stupid by a long shot. I`m pretty sure that "curing time" in the context of ronvonhagen`s reply would be "time after having buffed/removed the excess SG". i.e., If you want to top SG, many feel you should wait at least a day (after buffing the SG) before you apply your topper. Some of us also like to wait a day after applying SG but BEFORE buffing it, too ("curing" in the OTHER context).

BTW, I`m BIG on machine application of all products..BUT, SG by machine/S100 by hand would probably work better for you. I LIKE applying paste waxes by machine, but with P21S/S100 and Souveran, I still do it by hand.

imported_capspackle
05-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by thehaggis

Steps I used:

1. Dawn wash

2. Mothers Clay Bar (using Mothers QD)

3. Dawn wash

4. 3m smr for dark cars(pc with 7006 pad)(spd ?)

5. AIO (pc with damp 8006)(spd ?)

6. SG (by hand)

7. s100 (pc with 9006)(spd ?)

Dont you normally wash the car after sing products such as SMR or FI-II or any other product to remove swirls in order to remove any fillers and such?

I know when using SMR or Machine Glaze i always do a quick wash with regular (non carnuba, non dawn) soap

thehaggis
05-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PathfinderGuy

Dont you normally wash the car after sing products such as SMR or FI-II or any other product to remove swirls in order to remove any fillers and such?

I thought I would be ok with the AIO to clean off any of the fillers and such...but I`m definitely the wrong person to ask...anyone else want to chime in?

2wheelsx2
05-26-2003, 06:19 PM
No, you did ok there. AIO would indeed remove any fillers. Just check out the thread by Jngrbrdman called "The power of AIO" to say effective it is at cleaning.

shaf
05-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Yeah, it`s okay. AIO will prep the surface, so it`s not like Zaino where you have to take things down to bare paint before applying. I`ve done it this way, and so have lots of others. Good luck fixing your smearing. :)