PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pads

jones2416
08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I am using the 6.5 Meg velcro pad on my PC and was woundering can these be cleaned? And if so How? Also After they have been cleaned can I use them for a different application like the pad I used to put on the cleaner or polish be use for the wax if it has been cleaned?

Thanks,
J

Ace Of Spades
08-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes, you can clean those pads. Just use soap and water and let them air dry. And you can use the pads for different products if you clean them first.

K.B.
08-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Most people on this board seem to like to use different pads for each type of product. There are different color (grade) for different products as well. It is difficult to get every last bit of product out when cleaning. You don`t want even 1 particle of polish to be present when you put on the glaze or wax. As much as you spent on your DA, car care products, and the car itself, not to mention your time, it is well worth the extra few bucks to spring for a few extra pads.

For cleaning, I`ve found that Murphys oils soap comes in a handy spray bottle, and it takes out most everything from the pads but the UPP for me.

CharlesW
08-18-2004, 09:14 AM
As has been said, you can clean the pads. Meguiar`s doesn`t recommend wahing them, though.

Now for the part you probably didn`t want to hear.
You will buy more pads. I am strictly a hobby detailer and I think my pad count is now up to 9. :D

Charles

Beemerboy
08-18-2004, 09:27 AM
I place mine in the bottom of the sink, put some Dawn on them the need them with warm water until they come clean and squeze them with clear water coming out. I then put them between a cotton towel nad press to get most of teh watter out. I then air dry them in the sun. If I need it right away you can out it back on the PC and spin on high but be prepared to get wet. I use different products on all my pads. But generaly I use cutting pads with SWR stuf and polishing with polishing products

Beemerboy
08-18-2004, 09:28 AM
And one of these days I plan on learning to spell, all the words right!

NYV6Coupe
08-18-2004, 12:00 PM
I`m really new at this but here`s the regimen that I`ve used thus far and results have been good.

I put the pads in a bucket of soapy water & let `em soak for a while, then squeeze the pads a few times underwater, rub the surface of the pad by hand underwater, lift the pad out of the bucket & squeeze it dry, and then repeat in a fresh bucket of soapy water.

Do the soapy bucket thing at least 2x, perhaps 3x, and then do a 4th time in a bucket of clean water, no soap. The sealant (EX-P, UPP, FMJ) pad will probably be the toughest to clean thoroughly.

Mount `em on your buffer & spin em if you want ..... you`ll get wet.

I squeeze the pad dry as much as I can then put it individually on a towel face down, lay a towel over it and press down ... repeat until mostly dry & then let air dry.

Do the next pad on a dry part of the, towel etc ............

When dry, I put the pad back in the plastic bag it can in. I mark the bag with the product that I used to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination.

CharlesW
08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by NYV6Coupe
When dry, I put the pad back in the plastic bag it can in. I mark the bag with the product that I used to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination. I store my pads in gallon size Zip-Loc bags, but I don`t close the tops. It protects the pad, but still lets either water or the product you used to dry and not mildew.
:dunno
Charles

NYV6Coupe
08-18-2004, 02:29 PM
exactly

by using the original plastic bags they are easy to store (hang `em on a nail so the pad doesn`t get deformed) and you avoid the possibility of mildew

bufferman71
08-18-2004, 04:11 PM
system 2000 pad washer

kimwallace
08-18-2004, 04:32 PM
I am with Beemerboy on this one ... I squirt a little Dawn on the pads and rub around then rinse under hot water until it is clear. This removes all products I have used from the pad. Some color staining might be left but the pads are clean. I store my pads in plastic bags after they dry.