PDA

View Full Version : anyone used liquid lustre???

79ws6bandit
05-25-2003, 04:57 PM
they were doing a demo at a big car show i went to with this stuff. it looked great. has anyone used it. it is in a pink bottle. you may have seen it on tv. they used it then set the hood on fire!!! no damage they said

imported_BretFraz
05-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Do a SEARCH for that stuff. You`ll find several threads that mention it.

In the future if you are curious about a product or tool, try searching first as there may have been many discussions about it in the past. You`ll be surprised at the amount of information already here.

Mr. Clean
05-25-2003, 08:39 PM
I have used it, still have some in fact. IMO it is a decent one step product. You can use in the direct sun and it still goes on and removes easily. It provides a decent shine, and I found it`s durability in the 30-90 day range. It does dust a bit if you use too much product.

This is not a product that will be rated too highly on this forum, however.

shaf
05-25-2003, 09:55 PM
One thing that really turns Autopians off from this product is the way they try to sell it by demonstrating how it resists fire and "magically sheets water" :rolleyes: both of which are snakeoil salesmen trickery. :down

Mr. Clean
05-26-2003, 11:55 AM
The Liquid Lustre sales rep which demoed the product didn`t use that type of sales pitch (lighting fires or acid). What he did was use a hood (red) set up under 4 sets of halogen work lights and applied the product. The product applied and removed easily. He did the obligatory clean your house key. He showed the sheeting action. At the time (several years ago) the price was, I think, $15 for 2 16 oz bottles of product and for another $5 you got a third 16 oz bottle. I was dazzled by the SHINY red hood glowing under the bright lights, I paid the man my $20.

As I said earlier, I have not been that disappointed in my purchase. The product went a long ways and provided a very decent shine, for a one step product. I have since come across many products which I favor over the Liquid Lustre. Most requiring more than one step, though. Until I deplete the last of my product, I won`t be above slapping a coat on my daughter`s, son`s, or Father-In-Law`s vehicles.

Spilchy
05-26-2003, 12:54 PM
I bought it at the NY Auto Show back in the late 1980`s when I was young (like 13 - 14 or so). This was back when they had an infomercial where a fat, bald man with a gold rope for a bracelet would light a fire and do an acid test on the hood of a black olds 442. I used to watch it over and over along with the Club infomercial! Oh, do you remeber that psycho Englishman that sold car care products as well on TV??!!

The guy at the show did the key cleaning for my dad. We bought a bottle and I used it on every hard surface from the car to glass to brass candle sticks etc...

I can barely remember its results, but it`s a simple cream cleaner wax that reaked of gasoline. It`s sort of like Ibiz which had a slightly nicer smell (another auto show purchase - I also bought that yellow absorbant cloth that hold like 1,500 times its weight in water).

Nothing special in my opinion as far as that wax goes. Would never use it again. I`d stick with Mother`s cleaner wax or Meguiars #6.

Ah, this thread brought back memories from when I was a detailing pup with my Liquid Luster, Turtle Wax, Blue Coral, Kit Wax and mom`s cleaning rags and bath towels.

Dios
05-26-2003, 02:44 PM
i have a bottle in my garage got it a couple of years ago... i used it on my old explorer because i didnt care... i would never use it on the paint of my 323.... i got sold by some cheezey sales man im a sucker... but it works great on windows works better then rainX with beeding water..

CharlesW
05-26-2003, 05:55 PM
A friend gave me 1/2 a bottle about 4 years ago. Easy to use, looked great, collected dust very, very badly. I gave it away.

Charles

Scottwax
05-26-2003, 06:37 PM
It does not sheet like they try and claim it does. I saw a demonstation at Autorama in Dallas one year. The guy used a hose and trickled water about 6" from the end of the hood (which was angled downward), and of course, like all waxes under those conditions, the water sheeted off. I then reach my hand into the bucket that caught the water and splashed it on the hood, and the water beaded up and I then told the guy to stop lying to people. More than half the people watching left and the guy just glared at me then asked me to leave.

Mr. Clean
05-26-2003, 07:26 PM
It does bead, and very well for 30-90 days. It performs similarly to the American Shine Liquid Carnauba. Both have the ability to be applied in direct sunlight, however the Liquid Lustre must be applied and removed panel at a time while the American Shine can be applied to the entire car before removing.

Scott, so did you try the product?

John G
07-15-2003, 09:01 AM
I`ve tried the product and have NO complaints. It is a easy process that cleans and waxes in one step. It is great for touch up work (water spots and bird droppings). It goes on easy and comes off easy without a bunch of powder residue left behind. You do a small area, then wipe clean. Works great on windows and lenses front and back, then MF car. Yes, I have seen those same salesman at the Auto shows. Not impressed with their presentation but I do like the product. I use the CA duster to clean off the dust. That is MY experience with Liquid Lustre.

Poorboy
07-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Spilchy..hit it right on the nose...high kerosene content with small wax content..this stuff is great for removing tar quickly...I knew i guy who sold it and this was his demo..he`d use a tissue to wipe off tar:eek: and spray painted his hood and let it dry hood, and then wipe with a tissue...magic:rolleyes: