PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wipers..what brand makes the best?

Corey Bit Spank
05-24-2003, 06:36 PM
(I know it`s not a detailing product, but you guys are usually pretty good about these things)

I was driving on the 990 today at 65 and noticed that my wiper blade was coming off. It wasn`t just the blade (the rubber itself is fine) but the plastic clip that holds it into the U shaped piece of the wiper arm, was worn and doesn`t fit or clip. It was raining pretty hard for the past few days.

I was looking, and it seems like Rain-X has the best looking wipers themselves. The Bosch seem very cheap (6 holders for the blade itself instead of 8, which is stock). If you want to know, it`s a `96 stratus, 22" blade. So, 8 contact points, I would assume, would probably be the best performance wise. Oh the choices out ther with car products....:bounce

Fr0zen
05-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Bosch and PIAA Make Ok Wipers Silicone Wipers when properly treated last a long time

huggybear
05-24-2003, 07:39 PM
I switched from stock wipers to the bosch premiums and was WoWed the first time it rained. They get a A in my book.

imported_capspackle
05-24-2003, 07:57 PM
4 words regarding wipers...

BOSCH, BOSCH, and BOSCH

these are THE best wipers out there.. they cost a little more than the OEM`s but are truely worth it... and they last a WHILE:xyxthumbs

Corey Bit Spank
05-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Can you refill their Micro Edge Excels?

Mmmph
05-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Consumer Reports rates Wiper Blades as follows.

In order, these top six were all recomended:

Anco Premium 31

Trico Exact-Fit

Anco AeroVantage 91

Bosch Micro Edge 407

Trico Nu-Vision 21

Bosch Micro Edge 409

These were rated lower. Tripledge was panned:

Car and Driver Wiper Blade

Lexor Wiper Blade

Pylon Universal

Tridon Teflon Blade 75

Tridon All Season Plus 83P

Penske 227

Trico Windspoiler 36

Tripledge All Season Premium Silicone

Performancewise, they also recommend the blades (usually sold individually and include the rubber element that contacts the windshield, along with the assembly that attaches to the vehicle`s wiper arm) over refills (usually sold in pairs, include only the rubber and slide into your existing blade).

Corey Bit Spank
05-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmm, did they test Rain-X brand?

Digitalchaos
06-12-2003, 03:28 AM
An excellent question; because this is the only wiper I have ever noticed a significant difference with, and I have used many. Bosches are on my car now & will be removed shortly for more RainX blades. They also work well for clearing bugs from the glass w/ the RainX green windshield fluid.

shaf
06-12-2003, 12:27 PM
I`ve heard good things about Bosch and those silicone PIAAs are interesting (but expensive!!) and I find it really disturbing that wiper blade refills are inferior to buying the whole freaking blade assembly because I`ve found this to be completely true! :mad: :angry :down Refills always fail or just plain break/rip just weeks after being replaced. Change the whole blade assembly though and voila, it`s good for months. :grrr

I also have a copy of that wiper report btw.

I`m using cheapo "universal" Tridons because I liked their construction design better, and find them just fine. I think keeping your blades clean (gently!) and keeping the windsheild clean are bigger factors for me, but YMMV...

2wheelsx2
06-12-2003, 12:30 PM
I have tried cheap and good blades, and Bosch beats them all hands down. I have them on all my vehicles. And they seem to last longer too. :xyxthumbs

imported_Kyle
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
I would get silblade! that`ll be my next wiper blade.

jcattarulla
06-12-2003, 02:34 PM
What do you do to stop new blades from chattering? Anyone try the 303 wiper treatment packets? Would they do the trick for me?

paco
06-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Bosch Microedge get my vote.

I`ve never seen those RainX one`s before. I`ll have to hunt around and see if I can get me a pair of those in Toronto.

I love RainX. Hardly ever use the blades actually :)

Corey Bit Spank
06-12-2003, 03:04 PM
I bought a pair of Rain X blades at Walmart. I was using Bosch blades with chrysler`s stock assembly (which is now 90k old). I don`t really notice any difference. I think I`m going to splurge this winter and buy a pair of winter blades in maybe size 20 just so that there is more pressurve on the blade itself (Stratus has a huge windshied, but I`ve been told by many people that going to a smaller blade may help). As for clatter, I think it has to do a lot with the design of the car. I know the stock assemblies have a piece of metal that faced the front of the car and diverts air over the blade, but even without it there`s no problem. What bothers me is the system on some GMs were they are tucked inside in hood until you turn them on, but when they are on, they stick out. Maybe there`s an advantage to this. Oh well.

In short, the Rain X blades do a good job. The hardest part is getting the things on the car, it can be confusing! My uncle bought a pair, and he couldn`t get them on, but leave it to my mom to figure out how to get them secured. It takes a little effort.

cackleberry
06-17-2003, 08:42 AM
I`ve tried a bunch over the years and I have to vote for the BOSCH as well (the full deal, not the inserts). They really do work better than anything else I have used. I actually found a good deal through the Amsoil website, not sure what their price is now though.