PDA

View Full Version : Sealant manufacturers?

tguil
05-23-2003, 08:48 PM
A simple question. If all of the sealants so strongly supported on this site are so good – Klasse, Blackfire, Zaino, etc., why don’t Meguiar’s and 3M have similar products?

Patrick
05-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, in part, the aforementioned products are no where near as big as those corps! Im sure that BF, Klasse, and Zaino etc make up probably less than 5% of Meg`s/3M`s defecit. The larger companies are available in just about every city, in every state, in America, where as the smaller companies are only available through web suppliers, they just dont have the overhead to support retail offerings.....Besides, the less available those "site supported" products are, the better off us detailers are ! There are "magic potion" if you will........Im sure a lot of us have/use Megs, and 3M, but use them as maybe a supplement to our real magic.....

raymond_ho2002
05-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Meguiar`s makes #20 polymer sealant. I don`t know if 3M has a similar product.

Poorboy
05-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Patrick..you are right..the little guys together don`t make up 1% of Meguires or 3m`s or TurtleWax`s sales....then again Ifound out why when I was talking to a buyer from a major chain...how about 180 days billing before you see your first dime and you may need to stock and restock over 2,000 stores before any money comes your way...the big guys have deeeeeep pockets, if you`ve seen my new logo...mine are empty:lol

imported_zenhog
07-12-2003, 09:51 AM
I`m confused on where this thread went - the bigger the company, the better the chance that they`ll have a matching product.

So.. once again, why don`t the big guys make a sealant? ( I see Meguiars is mentioned as doing it - what about 3M or other big companies?)

Craig

Poorboy
07-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Zenhog...I believe that 3M is mainly in the body shop business and supplying auto mfg`s...most or all of their line is not directed to the general public...the other`s:nixweiss

VetteToVair
07-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by zenhog

why don`t the big guys make a sealant?

Craig

Why don`t you ask the big guys

:confused:

Who are you talking about besides 3M?

shaf
07-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Here`s my take on this:

3M is mainly in the body shop business, as said.

Meguiar`s sells #20 and probably touts their Medallion line as their retail sealant.

Mothers does sell products close to sealants (Reflections) but their main thrust in this is the retail market again.

Eagle One I`m not so sure of, though they make it sound like their WET waxes are at least partially synthetic... I don`t know how much of their business this is anyway - lots of us use EO products other than their wax.

Turtle Wax is too focused on pricing and being "bargain" oriented - besides, they shot themselves in the foot already by claiming their regular $2 wax lasts for 1 year! :p

Just my guesses....

BryanPendleton
07-12-2003, 04:55 PM
3M primarilly caters to the commercial industry with automotive finishing products, not waxes and sealants. There products have carried over into the retail market over the years. Meguires is a large manufactures that developes average priced retail and commercial products that target the large majority of the detailing market. Most of your "autopia" members (ie. detailing enthusiasts) make a a small fraction of the detailing market. It is not cost effecient for 3M or Meguires to research, develop and produce high end sealants to compete for a share in a market that is already a small small share of the total detailing market.