PDA

View Full Version : S100 SEC, how much is too much?

OUCH
05-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi there, yesterday I polished a friend`s car, used S100 SEC with a PC with CMA`s Orange Power Pad. First thing I did was mist the Pad with 2 Sprays of EO Wipe n Shine, and then I put S100 SEC around the rim of the pad, set the PC to 4 and started buffing. It took quite a while (5+ minutes) to break down and I wasn`t able to completely break it down. It left a very Hazy Residue. Also everytime I put more SEC on to the Pad I`d always spray it with Wipe N Shine first, is this okay? Later on as I was getting tired of using what I think was too much SEC I started putting just a nickel size amount on the pad, but it seems like this was still too much. Did I use too much or just sprayed too much wipe n shine? I dunno, please help :(

johnson
05-23-2003, 06:39 PM
I basically apply it the same way as I apply S100 Carnauba. Just apply, then wipe off. No need to for it to break down.

OUCH
05-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Wut about with a PC?

Nick T.
05-23-2003, 07:52 PM
SEC and GEPC aren’t like most other polishes. They are mostly fillers and oils will a little bit of very fine abrasive - which doesn’t break down. If you’re looking for a reaction like you get with a “normal†polish, it just won’t ever happen. Also, don’t expect very much cutting action from SEC. If you have any real swirls to deal with, then go for something more aggressive first - like 3M SMR or one of the new Perfect-it III products. The only way to learn how long to buff SEC/GEPC is through experience.

Here’s what I’d do in your case: Use a gray or white pad and slow down the PC a little, maybe 3.5. Apply as you did and work a 2-3 square foot area using little or no pressure, just the weight of the machine. Stop after 45-60 seconds and wipe off with a MF towel and inspect your results. Repeat using a different buffing time or speed, wipe and inspect. You’ll quickly find what works best for you.

Good luck and have fun!

OUCH
05-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info Nick. T but yah at one point I tried to break it down as much as I can but couldn`t so I gave up and just wiped off the excess.. :D

Nick T.
05-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I think that the “standard†abrasives that breakdown are called diminishing abrasives. And apparently the stuff (that`s the technical term) used in products like SEC, GEPC, and PUPP-C don’t get smaller as you work them. They must be fine enough to start with.

imported_Kyle
05-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Since SEC/GEPC is like, apply and wipe off, I wonder if there`re any benefit of using PC with polishing pad?

I apply SEC with my hand and I think it gives great result.

Nick T.
05-24-2003, 01:39 AM
MildSeven, You’re 100% right on, SEC or GEPC give great results when applied by hand. If applied with a PC they give even greater results. :xyxthumbs

shaf
05-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I`m kind of new to this, but personally I don`t think I would spray QD on the pad first unless I was having some issue with the way it was handling. Spraying QD later on is a tip to re-wet it if you want to sit there working the product even longer, so unless you want to increase your working times I wouldn`t. I also can`t help but wonder about its lubrication properties reducing its polishing performance too....

Just my $0.02

Tim Lingor
05-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Brian,

I always "prime" a fresh pad with QD. It allows the pad to move more smoothly over the surface. Once the pad starts to become fully coated with polish, it moves smoothly on its own. No more QD needed.

Meguiar`s always suggests priming a fresh pad before starting.

Nick T.
05-24-2003, 07:57 PM
I always "prime" a fresh pad with QD. It allows the pad to move more smoothly over the surface. Once the pad starts to become fully coated with polish, it moves smoothly on its own. No more QD needed. Thanks for the tip! I didn`t know that either.

shaf
05-25-2003, 02:42 AM
Ah, thanks Tim I didn`t know about that. :xyxthumbs