PDA

View Full Version : Help with MFs

2500Hemi
05-23-2003, 02:04 PM
My girlfriend dryed my new Pak Shak MF with a throw-in fabric softener. :mad: Is there any hope for these or are they trash?

Mmmph
05-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Just run them through a couple of wash cycles with Tide liquid...

...or I`ll be glad to take them off your hands. :D

2500Hemi
05-23-2003, 02:11 PM
I washed them with woolite. So you think after a couple of cycles will be OK for use? Thanks for the quick reply:up

Mmmph
05-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Yep, a double rinse cycle will help, too.

Good luck.

shaf
05-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Would Woolite be strong enough to remove fabric softener? I`d switch to regular detergent because isn`t softener like an oil? :nixweiss

switerajaya
05-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Regular liquid detergent at that. I`m not so sure the powder detergent`s granules are all desolved in the warm water so I at least wash the MF with liquid detergent. Hope that isn`t to anal.

topnotchtouch
05-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 2500Hemi

I washed them with woolite. So you think after a couple of cycles will be OK for use? Thanks for the quick reply:up

Whatever you wash them with try and find something without any fancy scents or other unecessary additives. Most people recommend just plain old Original Scent Tide.

I have even noticed some loss of absorbancy if I dry my MF after the wife has just put something through the dryer. She uses fabric softener sheets and whatever is on those things seems to last even after they are removed.

What happens is the MF gets filled up by the chemicals and it kills the absorbancy of the towel. This causes two problems, one it can then apply those chemicals to your paint and second they don`t absorb water like they should. I have found that the waffle weave towels don`t seem to be affected as much as terry.

As others have said, just run them through again.

2500Hemi
05-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am on the second cycle now with the double rinse so hopefully they will come out OK. I`ll have to use the CD test. Do I need to let them dry to test them or should I try them damp?

Nikon
05-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I discovered the same thing after I couldn`t figure out why my towels were leaving smears:shocked . I figured that the fabric softener somehow coats the inside of the dryer. I figured the easiest way to clean the dryer was to wash a few towels and through then in the dryer to tumble around and clean it out. I then rewashed all my towels and dried them in the newly "de-fabric softenered" dryer. Towels were back to normal after that.:D