PDA

View Full Version : Battery Clamp Renewal Question

MBZ 500E
05-23-2003, 12:41 PM
I started with a search but nothing really came up covering this direct subject.

I`ve been cleaning the battery area (in the trunk) and have replaced the battery tray, clamps and bolts. I have cleaned up the battery and it looks new again. The only problem I have now is the clamps that go over the positive and negative battery terminals. The clamps have a slightly whitish color (Could be from the baking soda I used) and almost looks like oxidized aluminum.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks to get the clamps looking new again. They`re in great condition otherwise but they just don`t look "New" I have the steel and brass detailing brushes but am afraid they will scratch it. :nixweiss

I hope I don`t have to replace them, that would be a major headache with all the wires connected to the positive post.:(

chris0626
05-23-2003, 01:02 PM
No, don`t use the metal brushes. Use something soft as a toothbrush. I`ve had good results with a fairly strong solution of APC+. Clean and rinse a couple of times. Then ... I would try Back to Black or Black again. In fact, I`ve been known to try B2B first, and if it didn`t give the results I wanted, I`d wash it a couple more times (to get back to a clean surface), then go with Black Again.

BTW, I just uploaded this photo, showing the dramatic results I got last night using Black Again. Sorry the photo is so dark, but it was at the end of another midnight detailing session.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3936blackagain1_lowres.jpg

I`m assuming you can tell the icky white/gray part is the UNtreated portion.

BlackSVT
05-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Use a product like "Neverdull" to clean those clamps.

MBZ 500E
05-23-2003, 02:05 PM
That is a dramatic "before & after", I`ve also had similar results with BTB but on this car there really aren`t any areas I could use it so I don`t have any.

So your saying it is ok to apply a vinyl/rubber type protectant on the metal and it hasn`t caused any corrosion issues? I have Pigspit which has worked miracles on metals with corrosion I assume it would do the same here. I just was concerned that applying a chemical (in this case petroleum base) to the battery area.

I`ll apply it to a cloth first and dab it on to prevent overspray. I`ll let you know how it worked and maybe a before and after.:xyxthumbs

chris0626
05-23-2003, 02:52 PM
YIKES! STOP THE PRESSES!!! I totally misread your query, Afshin. My battery has rubber covers over the metal clamp, and I thought you were talking about that rubber cover. :wall

SO NO!! Don`t -- repeat DO NOT -- follow my stupid advice.

MBZ 500E
05-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Lynn,

You did confuse me when you mentioned the BTB but you inspired me to think a little differently. I gave the PigSpit a try and it worked perfectly, the clamps look normal now. I wouldn`t go so far as to say they shine or look new but the white coating is gone. I forgot to take before pics but can take after if anyone is interested.

chris0626
05-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Hooray for you! Sounds like you`re doing about like me before my 1st serious Concours -- every waking hour away from the office spent researching or doing adjustments for Concours prep.

We`re all rootin` for ya!

MBZ 500E
05-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Funny you mention that, I took today off so that I could get the car ready for the show.

I finished 80% of the interior today, I`ll have to wait until next week to finish the leather. I also completed the trunk and gas cap area.

I`m going to work on the undercarriage tomorrow and the paint on Sunday.

I`m waiting on a few items from Griots which is preventing me from getting the engine bay done, but I`m close. A friend helped me source a few new stickers to replace the worn ones which will be the finishing touches.

Just thought of another question........do you know how to cover or stain some scuff marks on a seat bolster? My leather is black. I don`t have time to do the leatherique treatment not to mention it`s a very small area so other options would be great.

chris0626
05-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Do you have any of the Zaino leather cleaner spray onhand? I was astonished at how well and how quickly it removed stains and scuffs for me.

Sounds like your first show is drawing near? Do you have a good exterior QD on hand? And an easy one for the interior? Plenty of MF towels to take with you?

And wow! do I understand about you taking the day off. I maxxed-out my vacation time last season so I could get the car ready for concours. I feel your pain.

MBZ 500E
05-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Actually Lynn I used Lexol Leather cleaner a month ago and when I did I noticed that it cleaned up all the leather and in the process made visible a few scratches in the leather. The scratches are on the drivers side seat bolster only and I need a way to actually re-blacken them. Sorry I wasn`t really too clear on my earlier post.

I`m waiting for the Griots leather conditioner to arrive since I didn`t like the smell of the Lexol Conditioner.

As far as being ready for the show, I just bought the Autopia Concours buffing towel (Absolutely Amazing My wife wished our bath towels were that soft and was very jealous!:D ), I also picked up the mini detail brush based on your recommendations.

On the day of the show I will have one medium size cotton buffing towel for the door jambs, one towel for the wheels, a bunch of shop towels for the wheel wells, a cotton cloth for the glass, a cloth for the wood and plastics on the interior, a few MF`s for the engine, an appicator for the tires and of course the concours towel for the paint and trim. I also have two nylon dusters, one for the engine bay and the softer one for the interior.

Also on the day of the show I will have 1/2 Gallon of the Meguiars Final Detail which has proved invaluable, piano polish for wood and plastic on the interior, Megs vinyl & rubber for the tires and Stoner Invisible Glass.......thats it.

Did I miss anything?