PDA

View Full Version : Leather preservation

dazco
08-16-2004, 04:54 PM
I posted this here because i wanted the opinon of pros. I just bought an accord with leather interior in black, and i want to know what to do and the best easy to find products to use to keep the leather from being damaged by the sun. I live in So Cal where it`s often very hot, and my car is in the sun at work every day. So i just want to be sure that i use the right products and routine to keep it in good shape should i keep the car for a long time. Thanks...

brwill2004
08-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Pinnacle or Four Star leather conditioner are good products. To clean, I use Top of the Line`s Deep Down leather and vinyl cleaner. Another product exists, however, it is expensive. It is called Leatherique and consists of two products; one is a conditioning oil that is applied to the leather, and the second is a cleaner that is applied after the oil. Leatherique products work great, but are expensive as mentioned earlier.

dazco
08-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Are those easy to find at the major chains? Also, i guess i should have mentioned this is coated leather i believe. Don`t know how much difference that would make, but take that into consideration.
Also, i wanted some info on how to do it....routines, time lines, etc.

brwill2004
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
All of these products are easy to find. The four-star and pinnacle are available from premiumautocare.com. The Deep Down leather cleaner is available from TOPOFTHELINE.com, and the Leatherique is available from Goodspeedmotoring.com. As far as process; First vacuum the leather with a brush attachment to get all the loose dirt. Make sure you vacuum/brush well in the seams. Second, dilute some leather cleaner, such as Deep Down, to the proper concentration. Spray the cleaner liberally on the seats, and use a horse hair brush to scrub the leather. Rinse with a microfiber towel wetted with water. You may have to repeat this step if dirt remains in the cracks and crevices. Third, once the leather is dry, wipe on your conditioner. A foam applicator pad or your hands work well. Allow the conditioner to soak in the leather. Fourth, after the conditioner has soaked in the leather, buff with a soft dry cloth. Well, that is my routine. It produces great results for me. Oh, most leather these days is coated with some type of vinyl or plastic based coating. The above mentioned method will work with this type of leather.

dazco
08-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks. i`ll save this for future reference when i do my first cleaning. By the way, can that coating ever start peeling off ?