PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Fisheyes

Jon718
05-22-2003, 09:00 PM
I recently had a set of custom eyebrows painted by a local body shop. Apparently they did a terrible job and I have fisheyes/overspray all over. Can this be wetsanded down ? And if so, how do I do that?

http://users.erols.com/annsu/01243/DSCN0049.JPG

IAdvice please? Sorry I am a dummy when it comes to wetsanding etc.

Thanks

jimmybuffit
05-22-2003, 09:23 PM
I copied the original Sears & Roebuck slogan (which they post over every entrance): Satisfaction Guaranteed.

I would hope the body shop feels the same way... It is their responsibility.

Why wouldn`t it be?

Jim

JasonC8301
05-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Take it back to the shop so they can fix it!

If not I am willing to offer some wetsanding help. I`ve done it before. The Unigrit sanding blocks are nice. I will use the 2000 and 3000 blocks to sand down a huge touch-up job on my godmother`s caravan.

Jason

Nagchampa
05-22-2003, 09:41 PM
If the paint has fisheyes, it will definitely have to be repainted.

Jon718
05-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Gentlemen,

What stinks is that I had a friend who recommended the place to me. Doing these eyebrows was in lieu of fixing some paint work on my car. Things got complicated and I don`t even wantt o go through dealing with them. So much to my chagrin I will have to go about this venture on my own.

Basically, the surface feels like there are small pits everywhere. The look like micro sized pimples if you will. So with that said, can anyone offer advice on how to rectify this?

Thanks!

Jake11375
05-23-2003, 01:40 PM
The only way is to wet sand all the way down past the fish eye pits. This may eliminate too much of your clear coat and will probably leave some hint of the fish eyes regardless. You really don`t want to sand away all your clearcoat anyway. Your best bet is to have them strip it and repaint it. They didn`t prep the surface thouroughly in the first place so it is their responsibility to rectify the problem. Good luck!:xyxthumbs

Jon718
05-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Bringing it back to the shop is not an option right now unfortunately.

So with that said, how can I go about this?

imported_Adamah
05-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Cant tell by looking at the picture but if they are in fact fisheyes the part will definitely need to be repainted. Fisheyes are caused by bad prep work. Silicone or some other substance was present on the surface or the shop needs to replace their moisture traps on their supply lines.

Bobby G
05-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Take it to another painter an have it done right. Fish eyes are created by bad air to the spray gun, or contamination on the surface being painted. You won`t fix it by wet sanding and re-glazing because the problem extends all the wat through the color coat.