PDA

View Full Version : Klasse SG without AIO?

Bruce
05-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Much as I love AIO ("It cleans, polishes and protects in one easy step..."), there are times when I`d like the Klasse long-term protection without having to use AIO. In particular, if I have thoroughly polished my paint, it is CLEAN and I don`t need AIO`s cleaning and polishing action. The problem is that AIO might clear away some fillers or gloss enhancers that I need to hide defects I couldn`t remove by polishing.

I can try SG without AIO and see how it looks, but I won`t know if it will last as long...or bond properly with the paint.

Jngrbrdman
05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
To accuratly test what you want to know then how about using AIO on half the hood or something and then applying SG to the whole thing. You`ll be able to tell pretty quick if it helps the application process as far as how easy it is to buff off. I`ve used SG on cars without AIO before and I have to say that it is a little tougher to buff off without that AIO on first. As far as bonding or durability I can`t really say how well it does. I haven`t ever waited for it to wear off before putting on new layers. It would be an interesting test though. Maybe something easier would be to use AIO on the whole car except for half the hood. That way if its harder to buff off for you then you don`t have to wear your arms out.

shaf
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I wouldn`t worry about AIO cleaning off fillers and stuff like that.... a few coats of Klasse SG will do some minor filling and hiding itself and be more durable.

I don`t know about the SG right over fillers question either. I might try it in a while to see. The whole thing is still debatable, but I`m still personally sticking to the practice that if you have AIO you should use it.

Nick T.
05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Listen to Jngrbrdman! Experimentation and testing is the shortcut up the tortuous learning curve!

If you use reasonable judgment there is little that you can do that cannot be easily reversed. If you’re wondering what a rotary buffer and 100 grit sandpaper will do to your paint, then maybe you should stop and think - but with a little thought given to the likely outcomes, there is not much chance of causing anything worse than some hazing or light marring - and with your AIO/SG experiment even that isn’t going to happen.

Pick a test area on your car that gets the best light in your garage - makes it more convenient - and preferably an area that has compound curves - better to see the effects of the testing.

I’ve got so many layer of “stuff†on my right front fender that I have to carry 4 psi extra in that tire!

rleven
05-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Question off topic kind of. Can you use Platinum cleaner instead of AIO or before it? PPC-AIO-SG?

Nick T.
05-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Can you use Platinum cleaner instead of AIO or before it? PPC-AIO-SG? With synthetic sealants I always use the pre-cleaner that is marketed to be used the sealant that I’m going to be using, except with Zaino of course. The dedicated pre-cleaner may (or may not) do a better job of chemically prepping the paint for it’s related sealant.

IMO PUPP-C is a less aggressive polish than AIO, but I’ve never tested them side-by-side. However, they are so close in polishing ability that I don’t think that it would make any difference which product you used - if you don’t consider the possible chemical prepping.

I’m almost always in the process of changing the products that I use on my toy, but I always stick with Klasse for the door jambs. It seems to be harder (more protective) than the other synthetics except Zaino, and more forgiving (better mar resistance) than Zaino.

The best way to get the “best for you†answer to your question is to try the various combinations on side-by-side small (one square foot) test areas. PPC->AIO->SG & AIO->PPC->SG & PPC->SG & AIO->SG

Good luck and have fun! And post your results on the forum to help us all learn.