PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy`s ex over carnauba?

m3pilot
05-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Is this ok? I applied 1 coat of ex and then 2 coats of s100, but want to add a couple more coats of the ex and then top it with some s100. Is it ok to put the ex over the s100?

huggybear
05-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Its my understanding that a sealant wont bond very well to wax...i could be wrong though.

Poorboy
05-21-2003, 10:47 PM
This is Autopia...I think someone already did it ,but be a pioneer and let everyone know your results ;)

TortoiseAWD
05-22-2003, 08:26 AM
I seem to recall some one tried this and had no issues with smearing or anything . . . IMO, durability will only be as good as the layer it`s on top of (the S100), but as long as it improves the look to your satisfaction (or satisfies the jones to put another layer of something on the car), go for it.

Tort

imported_memnuts
05-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

Well, considering EX contains carnauba, I think that would draw its durability into question in the first place. I`m certainly no "polymerization" expert, but it seems that a product is only as strong as its weekest link.

Not always true. Some combinations of different components can increase or decrease the sum of the bonding of the individual components alone. What is to say that the added carnauba effects the sealant bonding. For all we known the sealant component of EX is strongly bonded to the paint surface and the carnuaba is filling in the gaps and layering itself on the surface of the polymer resin. The carnauba may wear off in 4 weeks but the resin is still there protecting the paint. :nixweiss All I expect a protectant to do is fill my desire of what I like in my paints appearance for one month. 6 months of protection on my daily driver ( beater) is okay and not quite have the "showcar" sparkle I want, but to have my pride and joys protected long-term but not look "showcar" is unacceptable. BlackRegal, I know that you are as picky about your black car as I am, so this is not directed towards you. Just making a point. :wavey

I have tried the EX over carnauba ( Souveran and P21S) no problems in the time frame of my detailing ( waxing ) interval ( ~ 4 weeks). I have also found out that EX alone is great and the small enhancement by topping is not significant.:xyxthumbs

m3pilot
05-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Has anyone noticed any benefit to using more than one layer of ex? I was just wondering about putting ex over a wax because what do you do when you want to add more ex? I was thinking maybe using a cleaner/glaze such as vanilla moose or s100 sec to remove any wax and then add a couple layers of ex before topping with a wax?

Thomasfl
05-22-2003, 02:06 PM
I added EX over S100 with no problems.

I also agree with blkZ28Conv that topping it doesn`t add much, using QD+ or Quickshine seems to enhance it though.

I haven`t experimented with layering but I am interested to see what the results are. I have layered the EX over UPP with spectacular results.

bandit
05-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I have agree with bikZ28Conv. I now only use EX alone and top it with EX when needed. Every few days I wipe the Vette down and use QD+.

The results are outstanding.

Have Poorboys Wipe & Shine on the way so this will be used as soon as I get it.

imported_memnuts
05-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sprongs

I have agree with bikZ28Conv. I now only use EX alone and top it with EX when needed. Every few days I wipe the Vette down and use QD+.

The results are outstanding.

Have Poorboys Wipe & Shine on the way so this will be used as soon as I get it.

You will love the S&W!!!

The combination of EX , S&W, Clearkote Quik Shine, and Poorboy`s QD+ is hard to beat. I love my Souveran, P21S and ShineShine Wax ( actually it acts like a pure glaze :xyxthumbs) for that little bit of extra "POP" but I have found the EX,S&W,QS, and QD+ the best for decreasing dust ( nothing works against pollen ) attraction this Spring and still having that "WOW" appearance.:bow

Also this combo is excellent at keeping unavoidable self-induced swirl visibility invisible until the next paint cleansing session. Can`t wait to try my Poorboy`s SSR1 and compare it to GEPC and VM.:cool:

Another excellent product that works very well with EX is Platium. I have topped UPP with EX and I am very pleased. My test area is my rear spoiler and the appearance is equal to EX alone. I am observing the durability of this area concurrently with my normal daily detailing of EX`d areas ( Cali dusting, DFTowel wipe, S&W and QS).

jpws6, I have found there is an enhancement in appearance ( on black) with 2-3 coats. Any additional coats (>3) the returns are minimal.:wavey