PDA

View Full Version : n00bie question. . .

Blue-Sun
05-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Sorry for the vauge topic, but my car has a fresh coat of Z2/ZFX on it. I just picked up S100 paste wax and I`m gonna get some swirl remover soon (either the zaino one or the Meguires X-or what ever it`s called-escapes me at the moment.)

Since I have abuot 3 coats of Z2 on the car, how should I go about tackling the task of removing the swirls?

I bought Z1 and Z2 originally and then ZFX. Is the Z1 basically useless now that I have ZFX? I also just got a Zaino clay bar recently.

Should I Dawn wash the car, Z1, use the swirl remover, Z2/ZFX then remove? Do I do all the Zaino stuff first, then the swirl remover? Or Swirl remover first then the Zaino stuff?

Sorry about the way random post/question. I know the Swirl ? has been asked a million times, but I`m curious about what I should do given the products that I have. . .

If it help/matters, I have a World Rally Blue 2002 WRX.

Thanks all!

kg/cm²
05-21-2003, 03:32 PM
you should do ALL your swirl removing *before* you apply any zaino...Z will only enhance the swirls that are on your vehicle...

hope this helps...

Blue-Sun
05-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey kg/cm2. . .where in IL are you located at?

I tried PMing you, but there was a problem with you`re username, probably the lowercase 2 or something. . .

PM or email me. . .

shaf
05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Sorry to say it, but you should have done your swirl removal before applying Z. Now when you hit it with the swirl remover you`ll be starting all over from bare paint again. Don`t bother Dawning again now, but you might want to prior to re-doing the Z once you`re done polishing.

Fixing your paint always comes before applying protection - you should read up on this either in the Learn link on the top or in the Autopia eBook, or old-fashioned searching.

BTW, Zaino doesn`t make a swirl remover as far as I know. You`ll have to look at Meguiar`s or 3M for that.

kg/cm²
05-21-2003, 05:07 PM
sorry about the "²"...I sent you a PM David...

Blue-Sun
05-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I didn`t know about the swirl remover before I started the Zaino process. Also, I only hear about this site a few days ago.

So what should my steps be? Claybar then Meguires Scratch X then the dawn and Zaino process?

Also, I went window shopping today, and saw 2 colors of tubes for Megures Scratch X, red and black. Are they the same? They were priced the same at 2 different location, so I thought I`d better ask than get the wrong thing. . .

shaf
05-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Can you get anything besides Scratch-X? I think #9 is usually suggested as being easier for hand use over the whole car instead. Sorry, I don`t know about the 2 colours of tubes.... maybe one is older.

Yes, clay, polish, Dawn and Zaino. I don`t use Zaino but AFAIK that`s right.

kg/cm²
05-21-2003, 06:51 PM
yup what 4DSC said..."clay, polish, Dawn and Zaino"...

for your polish, supposedly Meguiars #9 is alot easier to use by hand than 3M SMR for light/dark cars...I use the 3M products with a PC so I really can`t say for sure...I do use Scratch X, but only on small touch up areas....

Blue-Sun
05-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Where can I get this imfamous #9 at? Local stores? Car hobby shops? Or online only?

Magellan498
05-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Zaino makes a glaze-type product that hides swirls, and doesn`t do a very good job at it either from what I`ve heard.

shaf
05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WRXemALL

Where can I get this imfamous #9 at? Local stores? Car hobby shops? Or online only? Grab a phone book and call up auto parts stores and body shop supply stores. Sometimes hardware places that sell car stuff might too...

kg/cm²
05-21-2003, 11:03 PM
also...locally, check PepBoys as well as Murray AutoParts...I believe those two places carry SOME of Meg`s Pro Line...

Blue-Sun
05-22-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by kg/cm²

sorry about the "²"...I sent you a PM David...

You have an email. . .:cool: