PDA

View Full Version : Concours, Proper Attire?

MBZ 500E
05-21-2003, 11:42 AM
So I`ll be entering my first concours in less than 2 weeks and I have to ask what is proper attire for a a show.

Can I wear shorts, jeans or slacks?

Also how on earth do you guys/gals keep yourself clean when prepping the car. I`m worried that if I`m wearing a pair of Khaki`s they will be tan/black by the time I`m done wiping down the wheel wells! Do you bring a change of clothes, maybe an apron.....:nixweiss

I know it sounds like a silly subject but first impressions do make a difference so it`s worth asking.

JasonC8301
05-21-2003, 11:56 AM
I have no experience in concours, but it depends on the type of concours event. a local event might be casual while a national concours event might intail some more sophisticated wear.

BradB might be able to chime in here about attire.

If it was me, on a cool day, a pair of Docker`s MF khaki slacks and a nice Autopia polo and some nice shoes. This is when showing the car I guess. To prepare bring a fairly older set of cloths...

chris0626
05-21-2003, 12:30 PM
I generally go for khakis & polo shirt. And I generally go for darker-colored khaki`s, since I know I`ll spend some time on my knees (no, not pleading with judges; just wiping down wheels, etc.) :D "Upscale" shorts if the weather is too warm.

Now ... what`s all this about getting filthy onsite?? All your hard/dirty work should be done beforehand. It`s typical for me to stop someplace fairly near the concours site to do most of the last-minute stuff that could get me dirty. Then just drive to the venue, QD exterior, wipe down the interior, perhaps a final wipe on the tires, and call it quits.

But ... just so you know I didn`t always have this relatively relaxed attitude: First time I showed the car, I was doing the following onsite: waxing, TW chrome polish, cleaning/dressing the vinyl/rubber dressing, Windexing the windows, etc. (Oh! and ArmorAll. Did I mention ArmorAll?) Fortunately, the local Jag club members were very, very kind to me. And one of them told me that very day about Autopia. (Thanks again, GDJags!) Boy, was I stupid.

tetz
05-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Well, you won`t get into Pebble Beach wearing shorts and a polo shirt, but that attire works for me at the local level Porsche club events. The folks with 996 turbos tend to be a little better

dressed than the rest of us regular folk, but nobody cares much

who wears what. There was a post recently with a lot of pictures

from a Jaguar show; check out what people are wearing in those

pics.

I bring along an old mattress cover pad to sit/crouch/kneel/lie on

for the final preparations. The grass is usually wet from dew.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

JonT

Brad B
05-21-2003, 12:50 PM
I have always done the Khaki`s or khaki shorts and golf shirt or short sleeve shirt.

All the "dirty" work is done in advance in my "Jimbob" cutoffs and "I`m with stupid" tanktop. Just kidding, hey, the properly attired detailer has an Autopia golf shirt and apron! This keeps your nice clothes nice.;)

http://www.fototime.com/8986D9CA92C8CD2/standard.jpg

MBZ 500E
05-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Sounds like Khaki`s and Polo Shirt are the way to go, thats easy enough and comfortable. I`ll have to get one of those aprons, I just didn`t want to be the only one wearing one. :D

The only part of my car that I`m 100% sure will be filthy when I arrive at the show will be the wheels and wheel wells. MB`s have the absolute dustiest brake pads in existence.:eek: Other than that (and the bugs of course) the car will be clean!

Thank you everyone for your help :wavey

chris0626
05-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Hey, Afshin, you forgot to mention how darn cute Brad looks in his Stylin` Autopian outfit!

Brad B
05-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Aw shucks, folks. Hey, You wanna see my Autopia tattoo also?!:shocked

chris0626
05-21-2003, 01:20 PM
:nono This is a family show, Brad. ;)