PDA

View Full Version : VM and the PC

Pages : [1] 2

gnahc79
05-21-2003, 10:20 AM
The search only pulled up Ozzfather using the PC with VM on a Chevy 1500. Anyone else use it and have any tips? I just work it until the product is gone like any other polish, right? Thanks!

ntoddalbert
05-21-2003, 10:23 AM
I tried it for the first time this weekend on a car in pretty good shape, looks great, didnt get as slick as I would like but I used a white pad so maybe next time I will try yellow. Paint was already in good shape just needed a mild polish, It was silver so no swirls to begin with, cleaned up very very well though, one pass with a MF towel and all the VM residue was gone, that was impressive.

kg/cm²
05-21-2003, 10:29 AM
yup I tried VM applied with a PC...I first used a white CMA pad, but had better results removing minor swirls with a yellow pad...

HRD
05-21-2003, 11:38 AM
I used it twice with a PC, both times using the CMA white pad. My intentions were not to use it as a swirl remover though, more of a final polish or glaze if you will.

I worked it as I work all polishes and/or glazes, in a up and down - side to side style pattern.

I did not work it until it was `gone` though, but diminished definitely.

IMHO, the best part of VM is how easy it is to remove. I have yet to have any sort of product streaking or residue swirls from it. Wipes off clean as can be, even on my black car!

BTW, I used PakShak MF to buff off.

HTH :)

gnahc79
05-21-2003, 12:27 PM
cool, thanks! :xyxthumbs

looks like a porter cable 7424 with a yellow pad and vanilla moose is a good way to go..full names for future searches :)

Scottwax
05-21-2003, 02:39 PM
If you are using Vanilla Moose purely as a glaze (all swirls/scratches have been removed), then using it by hand or a finishing pad would work best.

It won`t diminish the way Meguiars Swirl Free does, but it works best when you do work it in a bit.

TortoiseAWD
05-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Am I the only person to have tried VM that got smearing when trying to remove? :nixweiss I was using a PC with white polishing pad, and working the VM until mostly gone. Wiping the residue left tons of oily smearing, which (thankfully) did not survive the subsequent application of EX and S100.

I haven`t tried VM again since (smearing is my biggest detailing peeve, and VM was worse than BFII smearing, if that`s possible). I suppose I should break out the other bottle of VM I have to see if it reacts any differently . . . originally, I ordered one of the packages from ClearKote, and asked for two bottles of VM rather than one VM and one MW. CK screwed up the order by only sending one bottle of VM (and nothing else) at the time, so the second bottle I received may be from a different batch.

Tort

gnahc79
05-21-2003, 03:05 PM
I`ve applied VM by hand on 3-4 cars and have had no smearing. Once was on a black car under a work light. What did you use before the VM (shampoo, clay lube, etc)?

Yes, I`ll be using the VM as a mild polish/swirl remover along with #9 (maybe #2). Hopefully I can finally make my car fairly swirl free. Not too hard since it`s silver.

imported_COEX-PILOT
05-21-2003, 03:27 PM
I use VM with a PC all the time. VM can be used with any pad and at any speed with great results. Naturally the stronger the pad and the higher the speed the better the results. VM has a lot of lubricant in it so it`s super safe.

Remember, VM and the PC will not remove paint, or not very much paint. For that you need a rotory polisher. With my black car (the Vette) I`m starting to find that with multiple applications of VM and Moose using the PC, the results are increasing and I`m actually removing (not filling) some minor swirls.

The best part of this combination is it`s totally safe! For all intents and purposes, you will not hurt your paint providing you take the usual precautions of keeping your pads clean etc.

If your finish is not `slick` after this, then I suggest you clay bar the car first as that is probably the reason for the lack of smoothness.

VM/Moose has left every car that I have seen use the stuff slick, shinny and smooth.

(thread creep notice)

As an aside, a friend of mine entered his 911 Porsche in a Concouse event here in Atlanta recently and took second place using only Quik Shine! I`m impressed!

TortoiseAWD
05-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Aha! I do have a bad bottle!

I pulled the 2nd bottle that I received from ClearKote out of my big box-o-stuff, and pulled the bubble wrap away from the bottle. It looks nothing like the original bottle I received. The first bottle had a consistency close to water; very, very thin. And, it separated in a major way; if left to sit for several days, almost 1/2 the bottle was oil floating on top of a tan colored cream. The 2nd bottle that I pulled out today had been sitting for weeks, and only had about an inch of oil on top. They smell different as well . . . the first bottle has a much stronger vanilla odor than the second, and the second has more of a solvent odor to it mixed in with the vanilla. Color is also different. Bottle #1 is cream/tan when mixed, and bottle #2 is almost white.

For whatever reason, the emulsion in the first bottle is completely shot. I`m going to take some pics of the bottles side-by-side to send to ClearKote, and see if I can get them to take care of the situation.

So, I took the new bottle out to the car and fired up the PC, and did the hood and roof with a polishng pad set on around 4. No smearing, and a nice, slick finish. I`d have to try GEPC/SEC and VM side-by-side to see which I prefer, but this stuff is at least usable, unlike the first bottle.

I`ll post pics in a new thread in a Detailing Product Discussions as soon as I get around to it.

Tort

Scottwax
05-21-2003, 08:54 PM
TortoiseAWD-Apparently, more than a few of those bottles got out. Just send it back and you will get another one. I had one bottle out of the 5 I`ve bought where the VM was more tan than white and the bottle got real soft.

I saw some of the new product at the store I buy it from and it is a lot whiter.

raymond_ho2002
05-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I had one bottle out of the 5 I`ve bought where the VM was more tan than white and the bottle got real soft.

I saw some of the new product at the store I buy it from and it is a lot whiter.

This stuff is supposed to be white?!?! Mine looks more like coffee milk (more milk than coffee), with the top 1/4 layer being solvent.. I`ll post pictures in a bit.

TortoiseAWD
05-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

This stuff is supposed to be white?!?! Mine looks more like coffee milk (more milk than coffee), with the top 1/4 layer being solvent.. I`ll post pictures in a bit. That sounds a lot like the first bottle I received, color and all (the "bad" bottle). Except my bottle separates so that almost 1/2 the bottle is solvent/oil on top . . .

The new bottle only had about an inch of separation on an otherwise full bottle, FWIW.

Tort

Scott P
05-22-2003, 01:32 PM
I have several different bottles. Some tend to be white while others lean towards the tan side of the spectrum. I think it is just the result of different batches.

TortoiseAWD
05-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Mr. Glass has contacted me via PM and offered to send out a new bottle . . .

Tort