PDA

View Full Version : Confused

MaxTO
05-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Hi,

Browsed around the forums, but got more confused as I searched for an answer...

What`s the difference between Paint Cleaner & Paint Polish & Swirl Remover.

Is is sufficient enough to use one of these and then wax or do you have to use a combination of the above to get rid of minor swirls and produce a deeper shine? (would be used with PC)

Thanks,

Max

imported_BretFraz
05-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Good advice from Black Regal except for one comment..... well, 4 little words actually.

"Ask about specific products". Focusing on specific product will, IMO, drive you insane. Reason is that so many products are similar that its a matter of small degrees between them. While some of us here can tell the diff between Product A and Product B, that doesn`t mean one or the other is the best one for you.

Instead focus on the results you want and the amount of work you`re willing to put into it to get those results. Then worry about which product to use.

I totally agree that the terminology is messed up. I think that`s another reason to focus on results over products.

Black Regal, I`m not arguing with you, just trying to clarify the main point I think you were making. No offense. :) :)

gnahc79
05-21-2003, 10:15 AM
the naming is frustrating...quite frustrating. There have been various posts asking is X a cleaner or mild abrasive, is Y a polish or glaze. Totally depends on the name.

I asked this on another thread, but got no reply:

Is meg`s #9 a cleaner also? It`s milder than DACP so I`m thinking yes.

Spilchy
05-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by MaxTO

Hi,

Browsed around the forums, but got more confused as I searched for an answer...

What`s the difference between Paint Cleaner & Paint Polish & Swirl Remover.

Is is sufficient enough to use one of these and then wax or do you have to use a combination of the above to get rid of minor swirls and produce a deeper shine? (would be used with PC)

Thanks,

Max \

If you refering to a particular brand, call the manufacturer. They can help guide you through the differences between theri products.

Accumulator
05-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Or ask/search here. Sometimes certain manufacturers disseminate information that is, uhm, debatable. A typical example is the abrasive/non-abrasive question.

shaf
05-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Ugh. I hate this problem. :down

I just throw the names right out the window and have just tried to learn the relative strengths of most abrasive products or if it contains abrasives at all. Some of them are broadly equivalent too (like Meguiar`s and 3M swirl removers) so that helps. So far I haven`t gone insane, but can`t prove that.... :D

To more answer your question, retail products to pre-clean paint prior to waxing are usually too mild to help much. If you only have mild swirls usually you can get away with polishing with one mildly abrasive product (like a swirl remover or similar) and then move on to glaze/sealant/whatever.